Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lets talk about Treasure (without any undue bias)

1. I first encountered a Treasure game with Guardian Heroes. I played that game at a friend's house for hours eveyr time I went over, it's far and away my favorite beat 'em up of all time. I'm sorry guys, but SOR2, aside from the music, just seems boring to me after Guardian Heroes.

After that, the next game of theirs I played was Mischief Makers. I loved the look and design of the bosses and characters so much I began saving for an N64 right away.

After that, I first played Gunstar Heroes through a rom of the Game Gear version, and couldn't find a hard copy until years later (and to get the box and manual, had to get it off E-Bay). Alien Soldier and Rakugaki remain two games that simply go for too much on E-Bay for my budget and I simply haven't gotten to buying, but I will one day.

I love Treasure, not everything they do mind you, but they've created some of my best gaming memories since I encountered them, and I have to give props to them for creating my favorite game of all time, Sin and Punishment.

I'm also among those who love Silhouette Mirage, Japanese rev. I bought the PS version when it was released, after the GameFan coverage of the Japanese version, and didn't like it that much. It was good, certainly had style, but I just wasn't having too much fun with it. Much later, I finally get my hands on a copy of the Saturn version, which I heard was better. For the first time in a long time, I sat down to play a game that had no save function and required my attention. It was wierd, after so many games that are either really short or have saves every fifteen minutes. I loved every minute of it all, the faster action, the ability to retain weapons throughout the game instead of it being more secure to not bother with them, all of it made the game an absolute blast, and the final battles are so much better at a faster speed. Whenever I want to play it, I have to sit down with the intent of not playing anything else for a while (which is why I don't play it every single time I feel a craving), but whenever I do...

But then, I also loved Mischeif Makers, which many people don't, and I'm not sure why. Some have tried telling me why, but my mind usually hasn't wrapped itself around whatever notions are fed to me. Oh well.

As with others, I'd place Nintendo and Sega above Treasure (possibly even Capcom as well, but I'm not sure of that), mainly because of the imagination and characters that go into all their games. It's so much fun to watch everything and find out about all the characters (SnP and Silhouette Mirage have some incredible stuff going on), and the gameplay is usually just as good, sometimes much, much more so.

2. I've enjoyed several of Treasure's games. I had Gunstar Heroe, and played it on my Nomad. I had sold my Genesis, years before, and could'nt play the game to it's fullest, with the small Nomad screen. I ended up selling the game. I only had the case and game, no manual.

I have Gaurdian Heroes, and found the game quite enjoyable. After playing it, I found it hard to play a game like Street of Rage.

I bought Bangai-o for my DC, a little over a year ago. I've played about 7 levels, and found it to be an enjoyable game, but with all the other titles to play on the DC, I have yet to come back to it. Still, the game does show a lot of great stuff, and a unique gameplay experience.

I picked up Stretch Panic for $15 at Best Buy. I gave the game a run, but found the game to be rather strange (Who has'nt?). Maybe if I find the time, I'll give the game another try, but I have a feeling that I'm not going to get into it.

Back when Radiant Silvergun came out, I had read reviews of it, in a UK Saturn magazine. They had nothing but praise for the game, and gave it a 97% rating. I tried to pick up a copy about 2 months later, but all were sold out. The guy at the Import company, said that I could get on the used list. I left my name, and never heard back from them. This was one game, that I wanted bad, but did'nt kill myself to get it. I have yet to get a copy, and would need to have a good portion of money lying around, before I'd even attempt to bid for it on Ebay.

I'd say, for the size of company they are, Treasure releases some pretty good games. I would'nt put them in my top 5 developers, but they come close.

3. i remember the first time i played gunstar heroes and asking my friend "who the hell is treasure?". about 3 years later i bought my own copy of gunstar. i've loved treasure ever since. i know they're not perfect but they're damn good at what they do.

4. doubleplusungood
    Anyway...I like most of the Treasure games I've played. They are a great company. They occasionally make mediocre games but one thing you cannot say is that they don't have originality. Stretch Panic was at least interesting in it's originality. It wasn't the best game ever but I enjoyed what little time I spent with it. Bangai-O is just plain fun. I just got Guardian Heroes again and it's still as great as before. Gunstar Heroes is good but a bit overrated. Gimme Hard Corps over it any day. Radiant Silvergun is incredible. I don't care what anyone says. I spent a lot on it and I really don't care. It was worth it to me. Great game. Doubleplusgood.

Don't let the thought police catch you.

Later all...

5. Maybe it was all of the criticism it received, but I enjoyed Light Crusader. Or at least what I played of it before I got stuck.

Gunstar Heroes is the only Treasure game I've thought was exceptional, though to be fair, I haven't played Guardian Heroes, Sin & Punishment (will soon... if that didn't jinx it) or Radiant Silvergun (never will).

6. Ah... Treasure... Well, I only started playing their games from the Saturn era, thus only have Guardian Heroes, SS Silhouette Mirage, Radiant Silvergun, DC Bangaioh, Mischief Makers and Sin & Punishment.

GH is actually too ... crazy for me... lots of juggling and stuff make it something I'd get bored of after a few times through.

SM was unique, and figuring out how to beat some of the bosses was fun in of itself. I should fire up my copy sometime.

RS... ah... well, love it or hate it, it's a testament of Treasure's ability to showcase the strengths of a system. Technically it's incredible, doing things you didn't know your SS could do. For the game itself, it's great but... I actually have more fun playing Thunderforce V. I respect it for what it is, but maybe it's just too hard for me to enjoy. I also prefer horizontal to vertical shooters.

Sin & Punishment is to the N64 what RS is to the SS. I was totally blown away by it. "OMG, I didn't even know the N64 could DO this!" Actually, some parts of S&P were just like RS ^^;, but that's not a bad thing. S&P is definitely one of the best games I've played in years. Awesome platform/cursor-shooter.

Mischief Makers is the only Treasure game I haven't played much of...

And Bangaioh:

I bought Bangai-o for my DC, a little over a year ago. I've played about 7 levels, and found it to be an enjoyable game, but with all the other titles to play on the DC, I have yet to come back to it. Still, the game does show a lot of great stuff, and a unique gameplay experience.
    The thing about Bangaioh is that it really takes about 8-9 levels to "get" it. I think the beginning levels were designed to just get you used to controlling it, but the designs of the levels aren't geared toward showing you how the game is really played. Once you hit about stage 7, 8 or 9, then you'll be surrounded by bullets which'll really teach you how to play the game quick. I still haven't beaten the last boss tho ^^; But yeah, I think the only thing I criticize about Bangaioh is that it takes at least 8 or so stages before you can "get" it, because Treasure didn't design the earlier levels to promote that. And consequently, some people just get bored or think there's nothing more to the game. I mean, after 6 or 7 levels of so-so-ness, wouldn't you?

Still, I like Treasure games in general. I don't necessarily like them all, or like them all that much, but when a new Treasure game is announced, I can't help but be interested in hearing about it.

7. Where is the Treasure of old? Will they ever make a game as great as Gunstar again? It seemed back then they could do amazing things with the Genesis hardware, I hope they can come to grips with todays consoles and make some amazing games. Games like Gunstar Heroes, and the Castlevania and Contra games they (helped Konami) made for the genesis represent to me the greatest type of game you can strive for, games that seem to run on pure imagination. Gunstar stands next to Yoshi's Island as a great game with amazing concepts that is pure joy to play.
    pwned by Ivan

8. How come no one is mentioning mcdonalds treasure land adventure? its such a wonderful game, I even like it more than dynamite headdy.

Mickey D's Treasure Land was OK, but not great. The US rev was WAY too easy, I beat it the very first time I ever touched it, and it doesn't have that twitch element that I think is a part of every great Treasure game.

Silhouette Mirage is awesome (and the PSX version plays just fine compared to the SS). The more jumps you can do in a game, the better I always say. Double jump games are great, and this one's a TRIPLE jump game! I mean, seriously. It's funny, gorgeous, fast-paced, and original.

Sin & Punishment is awesome, too. Double jump? Check. Balls hard and completely skill-based? I'm in heaven.

Mischief Makers? I love it. I love the boss battles, and the way you can deflect huge enemy shots. Shake shake!

This is taking too long... Silvergun is awesome, Gunstar Heroes is awesome, and Bangai-o is awesome. I've yet to play Rakugaki, Yu Yu, or Ikaruga, so no comment there. Guardian Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Light Crusader and Stretch Panic are good games, too, better than most developers' average, but not Treasure's best.

Silpheed's boring.

That's about it. They have a good enough reputation that I'd pre-order their games, like I would with Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, and Konami (when the hell is my PS2 DDRMax coming?). I think that's pretty good company and pretty high praise.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

10. I found Light Crusader very enjoyable.
    Though I got stuck at the IRON GATE
    and never completed it.
    I would love an update to that game more than any other,
    -even Gunstar or Guardian Heros