Thread: Please, don't hate me. I couldn't bare it...

1. Please, don't hate me. I couldn't bare it...

In regards to the anime review section I mentioned about a month ago, I feel it is only fair to inform you all that it has been canned. After some discussion with the head-honcho of TNL, we thought it would be unfair to the readership if a new section was started when, in reality, we haven’t really developed the videogame section to its full potential (we have MANY ideas).

Whether the future holds anything remains to be seen. If the idea is brought forward to me, I can assure you I’ll jump at the chance to do it. Maybe if we had two or three people working on it—honestly, I don’t know. Our game previews and reviews keep getting better and better, and we’d all really like to push forward with that.

This does not mean, however, that all of you should start buying Animerica Monthly. That magazine is pure evil, and should be left alone, lest you singe your fingertips holding it.

2. Sad to hear that. I don't really read anime reviews that much anyway, aside from the animeondvd.com ones.

3. Heh, it's not like I ever really expect this site to get an anime section. They've been promising one for YEARS and never got it done, and when I asked about it (even offering to help with one) they skirted around the issue.

I just kinda wish that TNL would either get on with it and do an anime section, or just go ahead and confirm that they won't ever do one, instead of making propositions and excuses for years on end. It's tiring and I don't really think anyone that's been here a long time really believes any of it anymore.

4. Well, Thank you for letting us know. I was wondering, what happen to you, and those reviews that you planned, and I posted about it in your RE review thread, so Bahn told me that the plans were canned.

Oh well, I will still see you around then

5. Originally posted by Freeter
    Sad to hear that. I don't really read anime reviews that much anyway, aside from the animeondvd.com ones.
    Same here.

6. Originally posted by CynicalSphere
    Heh, it's not like I ever really expect this site to get an anime section. They've been promising one for YEARS and never got it done, and when I asked about it (even offering to help with one) they skirted around the issue.

I just kinda wish that TNL would either get on with it and do an anime section, or just go ahead and confirm that they won't ever do one, instead of making propositions and excuses for years on end. It's tiring and I don't really think anyone that's been here a long time really believes any of it anymore.
    I don't know whether to give you a pat on the back, or to simply just adopt the same cynical vibe.

I choose the latter.

Truth be told...we had an anime concept years ago (during the Gamenet era). By the time TNL came about, the anime project dubbed as Max Anime took a back seat. The notion was that it would eventually take its place as a compliment to the gaming section. Preliminary designs were set up, and I was so eager for them to come to fruition, that at one point, I chose to show off a few of the layouts as part of a teaser presentation to the readership. That however pissed Kenshin off, and meanwhile - the idea of the anime section just lingered on.

By the time we reached the end of the 20th century (heh), I attempted to make up for the anime loss with the web project which adopted the character drawn by Sims and would feature the current TNL generation. The story was composed, artwork was laid out..and that was left was the actual paneling itself and it would've went live. There was quite a positive spin on it, and it actually made more progress than Max Anime would've ever reached.

The fact is...there was only so much I could personally do. There's a saying about too many cooks in the kitchen and that rings true till this day. There are MANY ideas that have been introduced by staff and readers alike, but when it comes down to it...someone needs to provide some design support for that...and I don't need to tell any of you that it's not me who makes it happen. If you're uncertain who, then read the first paragraph again and draw your conclusions from there.

The "I wish they blah blah" is not only something that's become insulting to me, but also tiresome. I regret that as its "leader", we've been unable to provide that. Many can vouch for my claim when I say I tried, but the fact was - my hands were tied, and in most respects, they still are.

Your whole tone is like we, TNL as a whole do nothing but make excuses...and if you knew anything about how things operated...it's that I don't actually run the whole show. I update, I do PR, and I even took up the responsibility to patrol these boards over the past several months to make something of an enjoyable community. Give me, and the rest of us as a whole a break.

Anyone that knows ANYTHING about what goes on "behind closed doors", knows the real answer...don't damn us all with that tone just because of the fault of a few complications. In some ways, I don't even care that its around. Maintaining a video game site is enough work as it is...to then address another avenue for content that may have no guarantee of being at the same caliber would not only be disatrous but would end up being a greater tug on our goal to remain focused in the primary area which we all assembled together to provide.

If it truly bothered you so much, if you had ideas and saw that we were unable to provide it...what is stopping you from doing your own thing? The fact that you make such a comment and then in turn aren't doing anything short of posting a "bitching" comment, is NOT solving the problem.

Selfish as this may seem, the lack of Max Anime was not my fault, nor the staff as a whole. Nuff said.

7. Well, there seems to have been some devolopments there, it doesn't have to be real big, but it's something.

8. Originally posted by bahn

I don't know whether to give you a pat on the back, or to simply just adopt the same cynical vibe. I choose the latter.
    Fine by me; I'm certainly not looking for a pat on the back. I prefer honesty above all, regardless of what tone it takes.

I do want to say, however, that the post I made earlier was more of a scream of frustration than anything else. I didn't mean to take it out on you or anyone else, but the general sentiment (that is, disappointment that this didn't work out yet again) is the same. As anyone who knows me (online or off) can tell you, I have a massive problem controlling my temper (you probably know that yourself by now, as long as we've known each other), and the fact that I was under a shitload of pressure when I made the post didn't help. It was a scream of frustration, and little more.

*snip history part*
    Bahn, I knew all that already, but I appreciate your candor.

The fact is...there was only so much I could personally do. There's a saying about too many cooks in the kitchen and that rings true till this day. There are MANY ideas that have been introduced by staff and readers alike, but when it comes down to it...someone needs to provide some design support for that...and I don't need to tell any of you that it's not me who makes it happen. If you're uncertain who, then read the first paragraph again and draw your conclusions from there.
    Bahn, I certainly didn't mean to make less of the effort you put into this site. I'm fully aware that you're only human. (And yes, I was also aware of the whole design thing, as someone who shall remain nameless told me about it awhile back). I know that not everything that goes on this site is entirely up to you.

As for the whole "damning" part, I don't see it the same way. I personally think that it's a credit to your site that this got me upset, because if I didn't like or care about TNL, I would not bother to post here, much less "bitch" about it. I have a lot of respect for you, Bahn (whether you believe that or not), and I think that what you're doing with this site is really something. I couldn't do it. However, the fact that I like this site is why I get a hair up my ass about it from time to time. If I didn't think it was worth bothering with, I would never say anything.

If it truly bothered you so much, if you had ideas and saw that we were unable to provide it...what is stopping you from doing your own thing? The fact that you make such a comment and then in turn aren't doing anything short of posting a "bitching" comment, is NOT solving the problem.
    That's simple, as much as it hurts my ego to say it: EVERY OTHER SITE I HAVE TRIED TO RUN BY MYSELF ENDED AS A MISERABLE FAILURE. There are lots of reasons why (especially writers that never wrote), but the main one was poor management on my part and the fact that I was always stuck with doing almost all the writing, updating, and whatever, without much, if any at all, help. I just don't have the time or resources to do that kinda thing anymore. In terms of management abilities, you're far above me.

...and I think hell just froze over after I said that.

I have to admit, part of the reason I was so eager for an anime section was because I would like another opportunity to work with you guys, but I just don't have the time to properly play games and review them. Let's say one has to play a game through once to review it. Let's say it takes, on average, 10-15 hours to finish a game, some more, some less, and an hour or two to write the review. I just don't have the schedule to maintain something like that and keep content fresh. With an anime DVD, you'd probably spend 3 hours watching it and an hour to write the review. That's something I can handle. I actually enjoyed working with TNL for the brief time that I did, but I just can't handle the grind as of now.

If I could design an anime site that I thought would be up to par here, then I would do it and offer to run it as some kind of companion of sorts to TNL. I can try as I've got some ideas for a design and all; I just need to see if I have the ability to make those ideas fruitful. If things work out, well, I'm not averse to trying to get something started.

Well, in the end, I'm sorry that I jumped up your ass and took that out on your and the staff (I guess I'm a bit too human at times). I don't really expect to be forgiven, I just hope that you can kinda see where I'm coming from here...

9. Fine by me; I'm certainly not looking for a pat on the back. I prefer honesty above all, regardless of what tone it takes.

I do want to say, however, that the post I made earlier was more of a scream of frustration than anything else. I didn't mean to take it out on you or anyone else, but the general sentiment (that is, disappointment that this didn't work out yet again) is the same. As anyone who knows me (online or off) can tell you, I have a massive problem controlling my temper (you probably know that yourself by now, as long as we've known each other), and the fact that I was under a shitload of pressure when I made the post didn't help. It was a scream of frustration, and little more.
    Noted. Though I must state that my response was triggered by a tangible degree of frustration on my end, for reasons I'll briefly discuss shortly...

Had I read this at another time, perhaps I would've been able to perceive your angle from the perspective as you intended to acknowledge to myself, the staff, and the community. I honestly can not help despite whatever grimaces (bitching, upsets) may raise from my end due to the level of passion and attachment I have for the site and its members.

I've got a short fuse myself, so I can definitely relate. With that said...much of my the tone which my response carried was somewhat attributed to such.

Bahn, I certainly didn't mean to make less of the effort you put into this site. I'm fully aware that you're only human. (And yes, I was also aware of the whole design thing, as someone who shall remain nameless told me about it awhile back). I know that not everything that goes on this site is entirely up to you.

As for the whole "damning" part, I don't see it the same way. I personally think that it's a credit to your site that this got me upset, because if I didn't like or care about TNL, I would not bother to post here, much less "bitch" about it. I have a lot of respect for you, Bahn (whether you believe that or not), and I think that what you're doing with this site is really something. I couldn't do it. However, the fact that I like this site is why I get a hair up my ass about it from time to time. If I didn't think it was worth bothering with, I would never say anything
    Heh, human depending on how some look at it. Word has it I am a robot. A discussion for another time of course... In any case, not to sit here and begin airing dirty laundry, but yes, it's obvious as to those who've seen things inside and out involving the site are aware of what and who is at fault. Does it matter who has the higher responsibility? No. At this point in time, my only concern is that the site can maintain its integrity, and perhaps evolve into something better than what it is now. It's been my primary drive for the past few years now, and I haven't seen any reasons to think otherwise. This would basically explain my ambitious attitude and [occassional] unrealistic standards.

I should know that by now anyone who makes such statements or critiques is honestly doing it because they have concerns as to the nature of the site. To see it improve by their own input or resources.

I've always been willing to welcome new talent (with respects to what was considered condusive to dedication and passion), especially those who have been familiar with our operations. Though at this point in time, my main concern is to have a system developed so that regardless if we have 5 or 15 people on board...the site can function smoothly and not be compromised in any way so as to stifle our integrity and passion on the whole.

As for the anime aspect...I've been discussing it with some personnel...and who knows, perhaps we'll try again. Though I'd love to have the section restructured so that we're not just throwing stuff together for the sake of writing. I will say though that I am very skeptical at this point of implementing any major ideas. Some because of design and global management concerns.

I am at the point where, I just want to try my best to keep this fun and not get to the point where simply posting any content is more of a chore and annoyance then the primary purpose why we began in the first place.

That's simple, as much as it hurts my ego to say it: EVERY OTHER SITE I HAVE TRIED TO RUN BY MYSELF ENDED AS A MISERABLE FAILURE. There are lots of reasons why (especially writers that never wrote), but the main one was poor management on my part and the fact that I was always stuck with doing almost all the writing, updating, and whatever, without much, if any at all, help. I just don't have the time or resources to do that kinda thing anymore. In terms of management abilities, you're far above me.
    Thanks. But that's only because of experience and the support of many persons of past and present that were able to stick with me. I had to go through a lot of trial and error, and while I am still far from perfect and being a great manager...I'd like to think that I've done a good job for what its worth.

...and I think hell just froze over after I said that.
    *throws an snowball*

I have to admit, part of the reason I was so eager for an anime section was because I would like another opportunity to work with you guys, but I just don't have the time to properly play games and review them. Let's say one has to play a game through once to review it. Let's say it takes, on average, 10-15 hours to finish a game, some more, some less, and an hour or two to write the review. I just don't have the schedule to maintain something like that and keep content fresh. With an anime DVD, you'd probably spend 3 hours watching it and an hour to write the review. That's something I can handle. I actually enjoyed working with TNL for the brief time that I did, but I just can't handle the grind as of now.

If I could design an anime site that I thought would be up to par here, then I would do it and offer to run it as some kind of companion of sorts to TNL. I can try as I've got some ideas for a design and all; I just need to see if I have the ability to make those ideas fruitful. If things work out, well, I'm not averse to trying to get something started.

Well, in the end, I'm sorry that I jumped up your ass and took that out on your and the staff (I guess I'm a bit too human at times). I don't really expect to be forgiven, I just hope that you can kinda see where I'm coming from here...

Didn't recognize that angle at first. But I appreciate your gesture to return. I've gotta renalyze things right now. To be honest...I am at the point where I feel like I am leaving more than staying. 5 years is a long time, and it's reached the time in my life where I am saying 'time to move on', however, I just don't want to head off and leave the site like adrift. I'd love to see it continue by someone who can be a resourceful leader. If it's just going to be a shell of what I aspired for it to be...then I'd rather close the curtain, perhaps start a much smaller site elsewhere with a core defunct TNL crew or what not. That's wishful thinking. I am currently pitching for positions at several publications and write for IGN Guides section...for me, that's a big stepping stone, and an opportuniy I greatly value and enjoy.

As for the site...don't take things that harshly. I was just responding in defense of the site as a whole. I had a somewhat similar conversation for different reasons because I honestly get burnt out and frustated for putting X amount of time and work into the site. Did I have to? No, but I enjoyed it...perhaps a bit too much...who can blame someone for being that dedicated?

Any designs on the site would be, um...an issue. For reasons I rather not get into. But, again...this is why I endeavored to perhaps start again elsewhere...since I don't manage the site's DNS finances, and thus it's technically not my decision to have persons come aboard and provide designs that should be provided by the site's original architect (designer). I wish I had that ability...but unfortunately I don't...and I'd just be spreading myself thinner than I already am

Keep tabs with me and we'll see what the future holds. In any case...thanks for not taking my response to the level that we'd be at each other's throats.