Page 13 of 252 FirstFirst ... 911121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Comics Grind

Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse continues to rock.
    Girls needs to be made into a Robert Rodriguez movie.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

2. I picked up Spirit #1 this week based on hearing good things. #2 gets bought Wednesday, and it's one a week until I'm all caught up. That was a fun read, reminding me somewhat of Batman: The Animated Series at it's best.

I also got Punisher, who's much more fun outside the Marvel Universe, Jack of Fables, Dark Tower #3, and a few other things. Army @ Love, gotten a few weeks after it hit, turned out to be a good read as well. I'd have gotten it when it hit if I'd known it was Rick Veitch being a cynical bastard.

James

3. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    That was a fun read, reminding me somewhat of Batman: The Animated Series at it's best.
    Have you been reading Paul Dini's Detective Comics? Same kind of deal.

4. Quote Originally Posted by elfneedsfood View Post
    Have you been reading Paul Dini's Detective Comics? Same kind of deal.
    Uh, I think his comment owes equally to Cooke's art style as it does to the episodic nature of the book. The stories in DC have been the latter, but the artists have been hit or miss, and none resemble Spirit's animated style.

5. Almost walked to the counter with 20 books yesterday! Took another look and came back with just 6:

Civil War TPB
    Thunderbolts 113
    All-Star Superman 7
    Fables 60
    New X-Men 37 (my first issue of NXM ever)
    White Tiger 5

T-Bolts: We get a little background on Steel Spider, who is still on the loose. Dr. Carla Sofen (forgot her costumed alias) is manipulating Andreas Von Strucker, who is punked by Norman. We also learn why Andreas went bonkers on Jack Flag in #111 (not much of an explanation, really). And Norman still obsesses over Spider-Man and laughs hysterically to himself.

Fables: Never-ending machinations and politics. Fly meets with Little Boy Blue asking for weapons to invade Homeland. The source of Frou Toten's power is revealed (that's despicable!) and the all-knowing flying monkey librarian may have some sinister scheme in mind.

White Tiger: Err.. lose the camouflage shtick. It doesn't make any FUCKING sense. The series was going fine until this little gem of a revelation. Ruined the character for me. I won't finish this series, despite there being only 1 issue left.

New X-Men: I'm wholly unfamiliar with the New X-Men. But I used to like Illyana back in the day. The return is something I want to see. Skottie (anatomy? what's that?) Young and a GOOD artist share drawing duties, and let me tell you, the non-Skottie (why grafitti in mainstream comicbooks can be a terrible idea) Young pages are BEAUTIFUL! Wait until you see Belasco's battle in Limbo... Has the book always been illustrated in this way? Haven't actually read it, but this looks to be a sort of turnaround for the book, so I thought I'd throw a comment out there.

Didn't bother to spoiler-proof the Fables comments cuz frankly, I don't think anyone gives a shit about that book. Even though they should. It's awesome.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    Didn't bother to spoiler-proof the Fables comments cuz frankly, I don't think anyone gives a shit about that book. Even though they should. It's awesome.
    I do. I pick up the trades as they come out.

There's nothing in your synopsis that's really a out-and-out spoiler, though. Just vague allusions.

7. I do too. It's one of the few should-be-read-as-a-trade comics I pick up monthly.
    I'm curious as to the titles of what you decided to not get.

8. I love Fables.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Fables is great, one of the few comics I feel the need to get in graphic novel as well as comic form. I'm really looking forward to watching this major storyline develop at its glacial pace.

When I picked up All Star Superman #7 I had to go back and check to see if I'd gotten #6. It comes out so slowly that I honestly didn't know if I'd missed an issue or not. It's the first two-parter, so I hope the next issue is in a reasonable time. Not holding my breath, but it'd be nice.

James

10. So did anyone pick up World War III? Any good?
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Fables is great, one of the few comics I feel the need to get in graphic novel as well as comic form. I'm really looking forward to watching this major storyline develop at its glacial pace.
    Don't Vertigo books typically only go for 60 issues? I know Preacher and Transmetropolitan did, and Y: the Last Man is doing the same. I guess Fables is going longer, as I haven't heard any hubbub about it ending soon.