Page 231 of 252 FirstFirst ... 217227229230231232233235245 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2514

Thread: The Weekly Comics Grind

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    It's really fucking dumb. It all goes back to his father beating his mother and a Hydra agent helping them when he was a little kid. It really flies in the face of a lot of things in the comics.
    I mean, didn't he punch Hitler in the face?

2. He did indeed.

That was just all double agent work
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. Skrull, brainwashing, the double agent was just a ruse the whole time and it was just to get intel for SHIELD, alternate universe version, time travel, clones, etc. This twist is dumb and it will likely disappear in one of the aforementioned dumb retcon ways.

4. Thought that dude was dead.

5. A character created by two Jewish guys turns out to be a Nazi? Classy!

6. Maybe Doc Manhattan is behind Cap as well.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    A character created by two Jewish guys turns out to be a Nazi? Classy!
    Yeesh.

8. Attached Images Attached Images

9. How very droll.

It's been a few years since I've read a comic. I was bored the other day and checked out Comics Should Be Good, a site I had visited every week religiously for years, but stopped that too. One of the newer features is The Guide to the Guide to Comics. Every week, dude looks at an issue of Wizard and discusses its contents. I was a faithful Wizard from the second or third issue to into the early "aughts," or whenever it started to focus less on comics and more on the culture around comics. I always prefered it's competitors (Overstreet Fan, Hero Illustrated) but they never touched Wizard's popularity.
    ANYWAY, one of the things that keeps coming up is how much Wizard dug Ron Marz' run on Green Lantern. During this time frame, I was very much into Image, Vertigo, and several small press books. I never liked DC monthlies when I got into comics in the 80s. The art was just too bland compared to Marvel. Of course I read stuff like Watchmen and DKR. The "prestige" books were usually high quality.
    But reading all this praise now got me interested in checking out the Kyle Raynor GL era. However, the same mental illness that has forced me to start listening to podcasts from their inception and not just the lastest release made me have to read the comics preceding Kyle's introduction. Not all the way back to the beginning (thank god), but the beginning of the volume in which he took over. I read issues 1-47 (not sure when Kyle shows up exactly, but I think it's somewhere between 48 and 51), which have all been Hal Jordan issues.
    Holy fuck, no wonder people were ready for a change. Gerard Jones has never struck me as a Must Read Writer, but I enjoyed his Martian Manhunter and Prime. This is just awful though. No less than three times has a story arc ended with Jordan saying he's done with whining and indecisiveness, and the very next issue he's all whiny and indecisive. Jones tries again and again to pull moves like Busiek, Waid, and even Johns; He brings characters from way back in GL's run and reintroduces them. Unlike those other writers though, he does nothing to make them interesting. Having now read these issues, I can completely understand why some people didn't fuss too much when Jordan went all Paralax. Jordan is so bipolar in this run that if there were no credits, I'd never believe the same dude wrote every issue.
    The only saving grace is some competent art from Pat Broderick, some very nice art from Doc Bright, and a couple issues of mostly fantastic art from Gene Ha.
    I don't know if I'll dig the Kyle issues or not, but after three days of this Jordan stuff I cam certainly understand why people that spent 4 years with it would accept the change up with open arms.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 29 May 2016 at 12:35 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    How very droll.
    Don't be so grumpy.

How about this one?