Page 29 of 252 FirstFirst ... 152527282930313343 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Comics Grind

1. Quote Originally Posted by JBNagis View Post
    I picked up Ultimates 3. The art style is leaps and bounds above the other 2.
    Story is kind of wierd. I may have missed an Ultimate Annual.
    Black Panther on the team,Thor using the classic hammer. When did all this happen??
    I still like it though.
    I'm the opposite about Joe Mad, I really, really don't like the way he draws the characters, and much prefer Brian Hitch's "widescreen" stuff. Mad has no idea how to lay out a page, IMO. (Maybe if Battle Chasers had finished, he would have had a chance to practice.)

Ultimates 1 and 2 were so neat, too.

I'm really digging that Captain America: Winter Soldier book so far, I'm about two issues in. The writing's excellent, and that's the best version of the Red Skull I've ever seen.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 08 Dec 2007 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'm the opposite about Joe Mad, I really, really don't like the way he draws the characters, and much prefer Brian Hitch's "widescreen" stuff. Mad has no idea how to lay out a page, IMO.
    The pages of U3 are very nice to me. His designs for the Ultimates are a little wierd. Its a mix of U and Classic style.

Ultimates 1 and 2 were so neat, too.
    I liked the first 2 Ultimates also. I just like Joe Mads style more. The only thing i couldnt stand bout them was how every single closeup shot had them with the supermodel pose. got kind of annoying.

I'm really digging that Captain America: Winter Soldier book so far, I'm about two issues in. The writing's excellent, and that's the best version of the Red Skull I've ever seen.

Winter Soldier is Glory. Very good book. I never really picked up Cap America but this arc is really well done.

I picked up a couple other things.
    Fallen Son is really good.
    HunterXHunter 17 has what is easily the greatest dodge ball game ever drawn.
    HunterxHunter is easily my favorite manga right now.

Anyone know if Shamen Warrior 5 is out yet. i can find it anywhere.

3. Are they keeping with the subversive narritive in Ultimates 3? There was a lot of "real world" marring the superhero stuff in 1 & 2 that I really enjoyed, re: politics, spousal abuse, alcoholism, etc. From the preview I'd seen of Ultimates 3, it looked like they were going for straight-up action.

Also, what's Venom doing in there? Curious.

If it DOES somehow turn out really good, I'll grab it when it finally hits trade, sometime in 2011.

4. The writing in Ultimates 3 #1 was embarrassing.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

5. Black Summer is turning out to be a bit of a nothing. Superhero kills president, and then a summer popcorn flick breaks out. It's a fun popcorn flick, with lots of exploding things and highly detailed art that looks great, but I was expecting something more from this.

James

6. Yeah.... looked like the #0 was about as far as that one was going to go. I love Warren Ellis, but I'm not too sure about his Avatar Press stuff.

7. Quote Originally Posted by JBNagis View Post
    I picked up Ultimates 3. The art style is leaps and bounds above the other 2.
    Story is kind of wierd. I may have missed an Ultimate Annual.
    Black Panther on the team,Thor using the classic hammer. When did all this happen??
    I still like it though.
    I just got it today (I subscribe because the nearest comic book store is over an hour away, and for some reason Marvel took forever getting this issue to me, usually it's like 5 days, tops) I am also confused by the points you mentioned, plus

Why is Cap so distant, Janet in charge, & Hawkeye completely psychotic?

And I checked marvel's site, they haven't released a new annual yet. The issue was just too short, especially after a 6 month hiatus and as many plot points as they were trying to throw around
    "I don't like fellas that kill me. Not in general."

8. I'm so happy I flipped through it in the store. Total garbage.

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'm so happy I flipped through it in the store. Total garbage.
    I wouldn't call it total garbage, but it does lower my expectations for upcoming issues considerably.
    "I don't like fellas that kill me. Not in general."

10. Compared to what came before though? Garbage isn't strong enough. How can you even read it?

It's like watching "Ghost Rider" after "Heat" and saying, yeah, that's a good sequel.