Page 7 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Comics Grind

1. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Dead Cap, IMO. Iron Man would have killed America.
    Exactly. This is how it needed to end. It could have been something to torment Iron Man for a long time.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. The problem with Iron Man killing Cap is that nobody would believe it. The bullshit-ometer would be ringing for months, and when Marvel finally brought him back it'd be about time rather than any major revelation. The problem with killing Captain America is that he's Captain fucking America.

James

3. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The problem with Iron Man killing Cap is that nobody would believe it. The bullshit-ometer would be ringing for months, and when Marvel finally brought him back it'd be about time rather than any major revelation. The problem with killing Captain America is that he's Captain fucking America.

James
    Which is why you kill Captain America.

4. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The problem with Iron Man killing Cap is that nobody would believe it. The bullshit-ometer would be ringing for months, and when Marvel finally brought him back it'd be about time rather than any major revelation. The problem with killing Captain America is that he's Captain fucking America.

James
    Sure, if they did kill him they'd almost def bring him back. But they could get a good year or two of great great stories because of that death. Tony Stark would be tormented by it, making him that much better of character. Punisher could take over the mantle, which would be amazing. It's just plain better to do it that way.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Dead Cap, IMO. Iron Man would have killed America.
    That idea sucks harder than anything Marvel's ever done, which is why they didn't go this route.

Somehow, I had a feeling I'd be lol'ing at predictable fan resolutions that want nothing more than yet another death to make 'deep' storylines.

Marvel's solution is infinitely more believable and bound to stick around for much longer than a needless death followed by the inevitable groan-inducing resurrection. THIS is going to make for interesting stories going forward, not the short-lived death of another hero.

Punisher as Capt. America is being rumored among some sites, but I sincerely hope this doesn't come to pass, as that's another ridiculous idea. Seeing Punisher take on Cap's foes would be laughable. He can't do what Cap can do, and seeing "Captain America" taking out villains Punisher-style is wrong on every conceivable level, though I'm sure more than a few fans are convulsing with anticipation to see this (YEAH!! DARK CAP!!@ ). By rights, he'd be dead inside 3 issues. Besides, Punisher himself knows he can't shine Cap's boots. I don't think Marvel is this stupid.

If they do it, it can only end quickly with Frank realizing he's not Cap, and rescuing Jack Flag and/or eventually working with Winter Soldier to make things right.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Exactly. This is how it needed to end. It could have been something to torment Iron Man for a long time.
    It also would have made Iron Man a bigger douchebag than he already looks.

No thanks.

I liked CW #7, Cap giving up makes sense and he did have the upper hand throughout the fight. My problems with CW #7 were some of the battles themselves.

I thought Iron Man taking down Torch down worked within his powers given his incredible detection devices. I also got the impression that Wonder Man was pissed at Cloak for spilling the battle out into New York as well as ruining Iron Man's plan.

The fight that we got was pretty good but it REALLY needed at least 5 or 6 pages more devoted to the actual fights. For example, I liked the Hercules vs Clone Thor confrontation but the way Herc destroys Thor made it look way too easy considering the stuff Thor did in #3 and #4.

Namor's intro was fantastic but they never really show HOW Namor turned the tide. His forces seemed small and getting their asses kicked all over the place with Namor nowhere in site. Then there's Captain Marvel showing up unexpectedly with just one panel shot so who knows what he did? We also didn't know about the casualties (if any) that Amazing Spider-Man #538 seems to be implying.

As far as Iron Man goes, I'm disappointed in how his armor is getting disrupted and EMP'ed way to much lately. I suppose it makes sense since it's his only weakness if he's not fighting someone out of his league but you'd think that he would have some sort of anti-disruption or anti-EMP type of power upgrade by now.

When you see the lineup from the last page of CW#6 you think to yourself: "Wow, now how in the world are Cap's lower tiered forces going to stand up to such immense power?" and Millar does a good job in picking the right people to disable them (Spider-Man taking out Bishop, Radioactive Man, Blizzard and using Reed as a punching bag). The other problem came with Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk and Sentry not looking like bigger factors than they actually were since most were in off/half panel fights. As far as the Sentry goes, Millar logically has him succeptable to Hulkling and Herc in the Negative Zone but he becomes a huge question mark after the teleport.

I think this is another time where adding extra pages to the HC Infinite Crisis style would actually make sense. I'd also have the John Dell inked pages done by Dexter Vines since you can tell that Dell's inks make Steve's linework seem much thinner and less polished.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    That idea sucks harder than anything Marvel's ever done, which is why they didn't go this route.

Somehow, I had a feeling I'd be lol'ing at predictable fan resolutions that want nothing more than yet another death to make 'deep' storylines.

Marvel's solution is infinitely more believable and bound to stick around for much longer than a needless death followed by the inevitable groan-inducing resurrection.
    So the EMT Bum-Rush was basically the most realistic thing you've Ever Seen. I see. Cap will stay in jail for a Long Time.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 27 Feb 2007 at 08:06 AM.

8. Was there ever a main super villian behind the scenes who set Civil War in motion? I could have swore I read in an interview somewhere that that would be the case, although very lame.

9. I agree that the battles were way too short. Civil War 7 definitely needed to be Annual-sized, or extended into an 8th issue.

Lots of big panels, not that much content, overall. This is a case of the pictures not living up to its "1,000 words" mantra. I'm in agreement about the Hercules/Clor fight. That was just way too tidy, and it means very little seeing as Clor will return in 2 weeks to battle Storm over in Black Panther #25 (unless that battle is supposed to have taken place before CW7, in which case, almost all of Black Panther's efforts to date, besides successfully enlisting Namor to his side, appears to have been ignored).

Still, despite the somewhat underwhelming "big fight", I thought that particular storyline of heroes vs. heroes wrapped up the only way it really could without having to sacrifice Marvel's greatest hero for pointless shock value.

Cap's surrender takes nothing away from Cap himself. And, for the record, I still believe his stance on registration is the correct one. He only went over the edge when this unconstitutional law's "enforcers" attacked him, went after teenagers, ambushed his team and his closest ally beat the snot out of him. At that point, he was focused on shutting Tony down, not fighting to protect his rights or ideals. The American people chose a side, and Cap's commitment to democracy overruled any personal vendetta he had. He stood down. It takes a special kind of dedication and discipline to be able to do what that man did. I think it's the perfect solution, for this PARTICULAR phase in the conflict. There's still the law itself to contend with, and this will take a long time to iron out, if ever. All kinds of developments will result from this.

What would Captain America's death do for/to the cause he was fighting for? A martyr's only as good as his supporters, and in Cap's case, the American public (despite being the living symbol of American liberty) would have ultimately seen him as a damned terrorist. They're already putting out 'Captain America terrorist' action figures, for Pete's sake! I can't think of a worse oxymoron, but MU-616's public is eating it up.

Iron Man has some redemption now, too. He's heading up SHIELD, he's going to try to effect change from the inside, like he planned all along. I don't know how much legistlative influence or power he has yet, but it's a start. I still disagree with the way in which the law is being enacted, even if there is a need for the law itself.

The Suicide Squad.. er, Thunderbolts are a second Stamford in the making. I can't wait for this to blow up in Tony's face. World War Hulk is coming, but I'm sure The Illuminati have prepared for this eventuality. The Illuminati is the new Justice League.

Some really terrible ideas have come out of Civil War and the Super Hero Registration Act, but at the same time, the Marvel Universe is wide open for sweeping changes without having a "Crisis" level event take place.
    Last edited by bloodyarts; 27 Feb 2007 at 09:55 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jetman View Post
    Was there ever a main super villian behind the scenes who set Civil War in motion? I could have swore I read in an interview somewhere that that would be the case, although very lame.
    That IS lame. I don't think there's a singular, evil mind-bending force behind the SHRA and the resulting hero conflict, other than hasty lawmakers. As far as I know, Red Skull, Doctor Faust and Doom have their own plans to take advantage of the hero conflict.

But, that conflict is over now. Have they waited too long to make their move?