Page 9 of 252 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Comics Grind

1. I don't let these huge crossovers sway my reading habits any more. I may or may not pick up the central books, depending on who's writing them, but you can only see so many of them go by until it becomes one flash in the pan after another.

James

2. Originally posted (trolled, whatever) by me on Gamefaqs... (yes, I know...)

Anyone see this...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-424376c.html

It's in the Daily News, so I don't think it can be considered a spoiler anymore...

And yeah, I definitely think Cap is Ronin. Those Bendis clues are spot-on for Steve Rogers. Bendis said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Michael Bendis
    It’s someone with a long history in the Marvel Universe. There are quite a few people it could be, it’s not necessarily the person you immediately go to but it’s someone I have an affection for who also has a history of donning a guise that best suits his or her mental tone. And this is his or her mental tone right now.

And it just so happens there is a costume that needs filling and a person who can fill it, and so it’s taken.

Before reading this, I thought Hawkeye might be Ronin, but now with this new insight, I noted Hawkeye didn't undergo an identity crisis when he became Goliath. His mental tone didn't change during that time, he basically just filled in someone else's shoes.

Steve has gone rogue before. His views on the nation changed, so he changed his alter ego. Just like now. And the definition of Ronin fits Cap's views (or at least how Sally Floyd made him feel over in Frontlines #11, being out of touch, and all) to a proverbial tee.

No doubt in my mind, Cap is Ronin. That whole, "Yo" and "do they always banter like that" is Bendis trying to misdirect us by having Cap act out of character (and out of character is something Bendis has down to a science, at least on team books).

3. Too much Marvel for me this week, I think.

Fantastic Four: The End was a bit of a letdown, honestly. The main storyline ended up ok but the secondary Kree/Skrull thing? Not so much.

Fantastic Four #543, on the other hand, was great right up to the last page. I liked what Dwayne McDuffie is doing with the characters, and the Reed/Sue split is being handled really well, but that last page just felt like a cheap stunt.

The Mighty Avengers was a fun read, but Civil War: Initiative was $5 I won't be seeing again. It was almost redeemed by Jarvis' opinion of Tigra, but one snappy bit of dialogue can't save an entire book.

New Universal #4 is starting to pull the plots together, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this one is going.

And then there was The Hulk, Punisher, The Dark Tower, and Shazam. The Dark Tower was ok, the others were varying stages of good, and why does everything always come out the same week? 2-3 issues three weeks of the month, 9 on the fourth.

James

4. I wasn't sure if I was going to like The Mighty Avengers due to the line up but it was a very enjoyable read. The whole part when they go to get Ares to join the team was just priceless.

Civil War: Initiative, was alright, but I don't have to feel bad about it I read it at work. Though Ms Marvel's mask is driving me nuts, sometimes it covers more of her face and other times less. Then sometimes her eyes are just white, and others her eyes are normal. Please someone at Marvel make up your mind on how the freaking thing should look.

Shazam was ok, I liked the first issue better, I can tell I'm going to find the little sister annoying.

New Universal #4, had a great ending. This title is killing me though, I just want to read it all now, not wait for future issues.

Welcome to Tranquility was also very good. If you are not picking up this title yet you should take a look at it, it's a treat.

Hulk was ok but it did have a very interesting surprise, that I am wondering if it will be played out more, or just cut off when they move to the World War Hulk Story line.

5. Welcome to Tranquility is good. I really like Gail Simone.

6. If Cap is Ronin, then who the hell is that in Cap's suit bleeding all over the place? An unfortunate SHIELD agent in disguise?

7. I was thinking Cap #25 happens before NA 27.
    Like Black Panther #25 came out after Civil War #7, but the events in BP25 take place almost concurrently with CW7.

Seriously, if Ronin isn't Cap, I'm done with that mystery. It's not like I LIKE the New Avengers, anyway.

8. I love comic books. Maybe I'll talk about that some day.

Did you all read Nextwave? You should have. But if you didn't, you can borrow mine. I trust you.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Korly View Post
    I love comic books. Maybe I'll talk about that some day.

Did you all read Nextwave? You should have. But if you didn't, you can borrow mine. I trust you.
    I did, not only do I have all the single issues but I got the hardcover trade of it also, because I just liked it that much. I was sad to see it end.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jetman View Post
    If Cap is Ronin, then who the hell is that in Cap's suit bleeding all over the place? An unfortunate SHIELD agent in disguise?
    That's Cap bleeding in Cap's suit..

But you should really read Civil War: The Initiative #1

Ms. Marvel reveals that Cap is NOT dead