Page 5 of 252 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Comics Grind

1. I loved Civil War 7. i won't spoil it, but I think the ending was great. Though the ending also fully displays oneof the problems in how the book was written. Maybe it's intentional or something, but it felt like Millar had this planned form the start, but didn't know how to get there.

2. Civil War 7 was garbage. Gah.

EMT bum-rush: GO! = Cap gives up? WTF?

Illuminati #2 was great fun, though. Go buy that.

Also: GOOD BYE, AUNT MAY. Bahahahahaha.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 22 Feb 2007 at 12:24 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by avatar View Post
    I loved Civil War 7. i won't spoil it, but I think the ending was great. Though the ending also fully displays oneof the problems in how the book was written. Maybe it's intentional or something, but it felt like Millar had this planned form the start, but didn't know how to get there.
    I see it exactly the opposite. It seemed like he didn't quite know how to END it, and that the ending was decided by a panel vote.

It may be debunked rumor now, but I firmly believe that it may have originally been intended for Captain America to die. But then, they came up with the more symbolic solution, and an answer to avoid having to once again go through the cycle of uninteresting and implacable replacements until the original returned.

Joe Friday did one thing right; it seems the outcome of Civil War will have long-standing ramifications in the Marvel Universe, and even if it is one day undone, there's a high possibility of it happening again in one form or other. It will always be in the public's subconcious. Because, super-hero registration, fundamentally, is a good idea. But the way it was enacted, and the potential abusive handling of the knowledge and power under control of one executive authoritative body was worth fighting against. As many predicted, registration was actually a VERY thinly-veiled draft order, and Steve Rogers knew it, so his (and those of the anti-reg side) worst fears have been realized. Of course, most of the pro-regs just see it as a victory, whereas others are just now realizing, "oh my god, what have I done?" (see: Wonder Man, She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel)

And, even with the SHRA firmly in place, there will always be those fringe heroes, operating outside the law, whether they're registered or not. So, everything's changed, but everything's the same, as well.

4. Oh, and I really hope the guy that picked up that mask at the end doesn't actually put it on. Because then it'll be like anybody could do what the original does, and that is just false on every conceivable level.

5. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post

Illuminati #2 was great fun, though. Go buy that.

[/spoiler]
    I picked issue 1 and 2 up this morning, will have to read later. Read Civil 7, it was a good read, but very anticlimatic. As already pointed out, there was change....but not really.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    Oh, and I really hope the guy that picked up that mask at the end doesn't actually put it on. Because then it'll be like anybody could do what the original does, and that is just false on every conceivable level.
    I''m actually kind of excited to see where Matt Fraction goes with this. Too bad I gotta wait 2 months to find out.

6. Illuminati #2 was ridiculous. There's so many things that can (and probably will at some point) go wrong with that scenario, it's mind-blowing. What happened to the Infinity Watch?

Punisher War Journal #4 - Okay, it was obvious the bartender was Frank from the beginning (note the caption boxes), but I'll be damned if Absorbing Man, Rhino, Dragon Man and Armadillo don't walk away from that. And why didn't Spidey's spider-sense go off, being the whole place smells like KEROSENE and the Punisher's serving drinks? Sure, these losers might overlook something like that, but Spidey?? It was nice to see him pay his respects, though.

Found it interesting to see the Armadillo and Rhino's introspective regarding the changing of the times from simple bank-robbers to today's criminals, and how some of the earlier villains from back in the day just can't compete anymore. Today's villains are psychotic serial killers, cosmic threats or infinitely wealthy and resourceful. Simple guys like Stilt-Man, Eel, Shocker, etc. are the laughing stock of the villain community. If Matt Fraction is going to be doing stuff like this with Frank wearing THAT MASK, I'm off this title faster than instant rice.

In fact, just that bit of diatribe was itself the only thing that was interesting about this far-fetched issue. The entire premise of a large gathering of super-villains attending a funeral at a BAR, all in costume, is just BEGGING for an explosion to take place, and it does. LAME.
    Last edited by bloodyarts; 23 Feb 2007 at 11:04 AM.

7. I wonder if Civil War 7 would have sucked so hard if it had maintained it's original or even revised schedule and come out on time. Maybe then the shocking outcome wouldn't have been so obvious as it was already revealed in the other titles.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I wonder if Civil War 7 would have sucked so hard if it had maintained it's original or even revised schedule and come out on time. Maybe then the shocking outcome wouldn't have been so obvious as it was already revealed in the other titles.
    S'funny, people all over are talking about spoiled endings, but with all the books I get, somehow, I never got wind of how CW was going to end. The only surprise I was aware of before it took place was Peter's unmasking.

Where was the ending to CW spoiled? Just curious to see if it was referenced in a book I read regularly and I somehow missed the reference or the issue itself.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    Oh, and I really hope the guy that picked up that mask at the end doesn't actually put it on. Because then it'll be like anybody could do what the original does, and that is just false on every conceivable level.
    Does Punisher pick it up?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jetman View Post
    Does Punisher pick it up?
    Hyup.