Page 1 of 252 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Comics Grind

1. The Weekly Comics Grind

I miss the old thread, and just shooting the shit about whatever was brought home that week. So here's a new one.

There were a few notable things last week, but Next Wave #11 had one of the single greatest superhero fight sequences ever. Those two-page spreads were just packed with detail, and I spent as much time looking at them as I did any normal pages packed with text and panels.

This week-

Fantastic Four: The End #4. Alan Davis doesn't do enough comics nowadays, and this proves it.

Jack of Fables #6. Jack is an utter dick, but that's the plot of every issue. Fun!

Civil War #6. Oh thank god, that means only one issue to go before it grinds to the inevitable end. This should have been bi-weekly.

All Star Superman #6. Best Superman in year, this series. I thought it was supposed to be 12 issues, anyone know if that's still the plan?

Incredible Hulk #102. Planet Hulk keeps on going, and going, and going. But it's a fun read, so what the hell.

New Universal #2. I can't believe anyone, even Warren Ellis, managed to make the New Universe interesting. Is this a limited series or an ongoing one? I looked around a bit but couldn't find a definite answer.

James

2. Haven't picked up anything yet, maybe tomorrow, depending on how busy I am at work.

Anyway, seems to me that the TNL comic collectors sort of killed the old comic thread themselves. It came to the point where only 2 or 3 people would post, and many times, weeks would go by without a single post by anyone. Rapidly diminishing posts = no interest = waste of site space = eventual death. I'm guessing as posts and posters became scarce here, people decided it was better to just stick with their regular comic site(s).

Don't mean to be the harbinger of doom, but it's likely the same will happen with this thread, and probably in much quicker fashion. I hope I'm wrong.

Question: I know Nextwave is canceled, but which issue is the last issue? Was it this week's?

3. One more issue and Nextwave is over for a while, although there's supposed to be a series of limited series. We'll see if that ever actually happens, though.

James

4. I concur on All-Star Superman #6 being awesome. Grant Morrison is a genius. It is supposed to be 12 issues, but it's taking so long because Quitely, as great as he is, takes a looooong time to finish his pencils.

I picked up a whole bunch of stuff, including Civil War #6 ("Close your eyes, gentlemen. This might hurt."), Frontline #10 (boo-hiss on extending the traitor reveal until next issue, Penance origin was cool though), and a few other Civil War tie-ins.

The Irredeemable Ant-Man is pretty good.

Street Fighter 2 #6 - I can't believe how long it took for Alvin Lee to pencil the first arc, but he's pretty good. Looking forward to the actual tournament itself.

JLA #5 - It's good, but I'm not digging it as much as everyone else.

52 #whatever they're up to - I've bought every issue so far and the stories have been really good. Not happy about The Question dying of cancer though. The Lobo reveal was cool though.

I also am liking Dini's Batman: Detective Comics run.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

5. -I've read every issue of 52 so far. I love it. I'm really looking forward to issue 36 which will hopefully shed more light on the Rip Hunter/Supernova/Booster Gold storyline.

-I love the new JLA.

-I agree on Dini's Detective Comics run. It's really good.

-The last few issues of Birds of Prey have been excellent. This is a good book. I swear.

6. I've also been reading the Midnighter and that's awesome as well. Some guy blackmails Midnighter to go back in time to kill Hitler or else he'll activate the bomb that he surgically implanted in Midnighter's thorax. Midnighter almost succeeds until the Temporal Police shows up. Not sure about the new Gen 13 yet. It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'll keep buying it after Issue 5.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

7. One comic this week, The Punisher. There was tons of Civil War stuff, but at this point I'm just tired of it all.

On the plus side, only one comic means I got the Fables: 1001 Nights hardcover. Nothing like a dead week to get caught up on stuff.

James

8. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I miss the old thread, and just shooting the shit about whatever was brought home that week. So here's a new one.
    Yeah I've been really wondering how to do a thread like this but more serialized like "Week of 11/9/07" or something but this will do just fine.

There were a few notable things last week, but Next Wave #11 had one of the single greatest superhero fight sequences ever. Those two-page spreads were just packed with detail, and I spent as much time looking at them as I did any normal pages packed with text and panels.
    I love this title, and those great yet wacky panels is why Stuart Immonen and Warren Ellis are fucking great. It'll be sad to see the title go but at least it'll continue in some form.
    Last edited by Will; 13 Jan 2007 at 03:56 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by elfneedsfood View Post
    -I've read every issue of 52 so far. I love it. I'm really looking forward to issue 36 which will hopefully shed more light on the Rip Hunter/Supernova/Booster Gold storyline.
    I've been waiting for the longest time to see some sort of resolution in that end. I'm really lagging behind though but I'll most likely just read them all in one shot until the most recent issue. It reads pretty well that way too but I wouldn't recommend falling too behind.

-I love the new JLA.
    It's a mixed bag for me. I love the lineup but Meltzer's narrative writing drives me a bit crazy sometimes. Plus there are some really head scratching things going on that seems to cater more towards the hardcore DC fan. Plus I had no idea what the hell Vixen was doing with all those animal panels in #4

And yeah Paul Dini' Batman is the best Batman out there, even more than Morrison's which has been merely ok.

10. I picked up Gen 13 #4 and I hated it. Hated it so much that I'm bailing from the series.

I bought Justice Society of America #1 and 2. Honestly, this series is a lot better than JLA. The story so far is that there is a villain killing off not only superheroes, but also their family members, essentially ending the bloodline. It's told really well, and the characters are really interesting, especially the new Starman.

Also picked up the new Thunderbolts. I like what's going on so far, and the art is good too.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios