Page 3 of 468 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Apple Thread

1. I need to replace my G4 mini.

Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    How am I supposed to "network" a computer to an HDTV if they are far away from each other?
    Modded Xbox or stfu.

3. Can someone recommend a good Linux distro for PPC macs?
    I've only used Ubuntu, but I wasn't happy with the performance, and I've heard good things about YDL, but I don't want to go through the hassle of backing up all my shit and installing the OS if it won't be an improvement.
    My machine is a mac mini 1.25GHz with 512MB RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic6 View Post
    I need to replace my G4 mini.
    I'm in the same boat, although I'll hang on to the mini for emulation and movies.
    I was thinking of getting a MacBook, until I realized that pretty much every major pc manufacturer now offers something vastly superior for the same price.
    I need a decent graphics chipset, a DVD writer, a high resolution display, a fast CPU and at least a gig of RAM, for under $1300 canadian, and Apple just can't compete. Apple charging a fee for firmware updates just seals it for me, I'm tired of their bullshit.
    It's a shame too, because I've really gotten comfortable with OSX, and not having expose is going to drive me nuts, but I'll be using Windows most of the time anyway, since there are so many things I can't do in OSX because the software support just isn't there for niche apps.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Can someone recommend a good Linux distro for PPC macs?
    I've only used Ubuntu, but I wasn't happy with the performance, and I've heard good things about YDL, but I don't want to go through the hassle of backing up all my shit and installing the OS if it won't be an improvement.
    My machine is a mac mini 1.25GHz with 512MB RAM.
    More ram will help you immensely, also try running accelerated drivers for your video (what is it on the ppc macs anyway, ATI?) which might help your display be more "snappy"... Alternatively, ditch gnome and use something a little more resource-friendly like xfce. As well, a distro is a distro is a distro, you probably won't find any significant differences between any of them.

If you're used to OSX, a few months down the road Parallels is set to release a new version of their VM software that supposedly has awesome support with virtualization for OSX in the Windows builds, so you might not be entirely screwed out of osx land if you can find yourself a nice little c2d laptop and/or tower build.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Modded Xbox or stfu.
    The way Stibbons wrote it, it sounded like he was saying you could just plug an ethernet cable into the back of a TV and everything would be grand. I wanted to know of this magical method. You can't just "network a computer to a TV," you need some sort of box sitting next to the TV, and that of course is the sticking point.

And unless it's gotten better, I wasn't terribly impressed with the Xbox Media Center. My friend has a modded Xbox, and the codec playback support was iffy (get something with a decent bitrate, and the thing stuttered to all hell), subtitle file support was terrible, etc. Granted, that was a year or so ago, so things might have improved since then. If it can't play high bitrate h.264 files, though, it's worthless to me.
    Last edited by mollipen; 25 Jan 2007 at 11:59 AM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    And unless it's gotten better, I wasn't terribly impressed with the Xbox Media Center. My friend has a modded Xbox, and the codec playback support was iffy (get something with a decent bitrate, and the thing stuttered to all hell), subtitle file support was terrible, etc. Granted, that was a year or so ago, so things might have improved since then. If it can't play high bitrate h.264 files, though, it's worthless to me.

from wiki

with its 733 MHz Intel Pentium III Celeron and 64MB shared memory, the Xbox does not have enough hardware-resources (not fast enough CPU nor large enough RAM-memory) to play MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) encoded videos with Cabac and Deblocking if the video-resolution is higher than 352x288 pixels. Workaround: If you encode your MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) videos without Cabac and Deblocking then the Xbox hardware can handle up to 720x576 pixels video-resolution. It is best to encode your videos to MPEG-4 ASP (like DivX or XviD) instead. The video's native-resolution can be anything up to 960x540 pixels (a.k.a. HRHD resolution), when encoded like this.
    It does do a terrific job of upconverting though, and plays almost any major format you throw at it.

90% of the stuff that can be download out there is in Divx/xvid , and it will play it perfectly.
    Last edited by Wildkat; 25 Jan 2007 at 03:40 PM.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

7. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat View Post
    90% of the stuff that can be download out there is in Divx/xvid , and it will play it perfectly.
    Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that because I've never even seen an h.264 video, aside from the ones I encoded to put on an iPod. Where does one even come across those outside of the Apple Store?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat View Post
    from wiki
    And there you go, Josh... the reason I have no need for a modded Xbox.

Great. Half of my videos are files I've encoded myself, and I prefer to use h.264. So, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that because I've never even seen an h.264 video, aside from the ones I encoded to put on an iPod. Where does one even come across those outside of the Apple Store?
    Well, I know in the Japanese music video scene, h.264 is starting to gain some ground. Same in fansub anime, if you care about that. Sony is going to be pushing h.264 as the main video file format of the PS3, and it already is for the PSP, so typically video files encoded specifically for the PSP are h.264.

That's a few, offhand.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

9. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    More ram will help you immensely, also try running accelerated drivers for your video (what is it on the ppc macs anyway, ATI?) which might help your display be more "snappy"... Alternatively, ditch gnome and use something a little more resource-friendly like xfce. As well, a distro is a distro is a distro, you probably won't find any significant differences between any of them.

If you're used to OSX, a few months down the road Parallels is set to release a new version of their VM software that supposedly has awesome support with virtualization for OSX in the Windows builds, so you might not be entirely screwed out of osx land if you can find yourself a nice little c2d laptop and/or tower build.
    I don't think I'll spend any more on my mini, so more ram isn't really an option. I'll see if there's a ppc version of xubuntu, which I think uses xfce.
    fyi, the G4 mini has a radeon 9200 32MB.

If parallels can run OSX on Windows, that would rock. The notebook that I'm tempted to get only has a Core Duo, and not a C2D, but by the time I can afford it, I'm sure it'll be bumped up to the newer cpu.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    If parallels can run OSX on Windows, that would rock.
    VMWare imo.
    -Kyo