Page 452 of 468 FirstFirst ... 438448450451452453454456466 ... LastLast
Results 4,511 to 4,520 of 4673

Thread: Official Apple Thread

1. I started the thread, so obviously I was a huge Apple fan at one point. When I went to upgrade from my 2006 15" MacBook Pro in 2011, I couldn't find anything to replace it with. I no longer needed/wanted a laptop. The Mac Mini was (and still is) a horrible performer for anything other than basic web browsing, emailing, etc. The iMac hardware was nice, but then you have to buy the integrated monitor that offers no advantages over any other monitor. And then lastly, where I'd bought a PowerMac G4 400 for $1699 way back when, the new Mac Pro's started at $2499. I decided to give up on Macs for the moment, and go with Ubuntu. Now, every single bit of Mac news drives me further away.

I was actually pretty excited for the event last week, and came away realizing that Apple is a mobile company now that happens to throw computers out there once in a while so their investors feel like the company portfolio is diversified. No updates to Mac Mini, iMac, or Mac Pro. Completely average laptops with limited connectivity for several hundred more than what they used to charge. It just is starting to feel like Microsoft is the new Apple when it comes to computers. I will probably never own a Surface Studio, but that product made me want to max out the credit card the same way Apple's products did pre-iPhone. Maybe some day Tim Cook will be thrown out on his ass, and someone who actually has some vision in technology will take over.

I agree with all of that, but I use my current model Mac mini for audio work without issue.

3. Official Apple Thread

Xioami just announced a really cool edge to edge phone. It might be a hunk of shit in practice but that was the first time a phone design was exciting in a long time. Apple certainly hasn't been doing it lately. I also am starting to wonder if Tim Cook is the right guy to do more than make lots of money, if Ive has too much power, etc.

Edit: also the lack of a lightning port on the new MBs feels like a slap in the face to customers. Using the same headphones on MBP and iPhone is not uncommon, now you can't do it.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 31 Oct 2016 at 12:54 PM.

4. The Sharp Aquos Crystal is pretty similar to that, but not as nice.

The mac mini was pretty unique when it launched, but it's a bit of a dinosaur now, especially compared to Intel's own NUC computers. A decade's worth of miniaturisation hasn't decreased the footprint of the mac mini at all.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The mac mini was pretty unique when it launched, but it's a bit of a dinosaur now, especially compared to Intel's own NUC computers. A decade's worth of miniaturisation hasn't decreased the footprint of the mac mini at all.
    Honestly, I just want the same thing Mac users have been wanting for more than a decade now: a headless Mac. Not a cute little box that feels like an iMac from several years ago, but something that's essentially the iMac with discrete graphics and no monitor.

That said, I totally expect Apple to go the opposite direction and make a Mac Nano or some shit.

6. Well they stopped catering to MacRumors posters a long time ago. I'm not sure how many of those they would sell.

I just think all of these products can be a lot better on Apple's terms. I'm not going to demand the new MBP be like the 2009 ones where you unscrew the bottom to upgrade it, that's never going to happen. But the USB-C, need to use adapters for everything, no Lightning or MagSafe, scissor keys, at what point is this just not a good user experience?

I have a 2014 retina MBP, it's a great machine. I am not sure I will ever 'upgrade' it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Well they stopped catering to MacRumors posters a long time ago. I'm not sure how many of those they would sell.
    MacRumors posters would literally buy anything Apple puts out the door. I know what you're saying, though, and I agree that they've moved away from the Mac "Pro" users the past few years. These new laptops are called MacBook Pro, but they're really more of an upgraded consumer offering.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I think if you press and hold the song it gives you the play next option.
    Fuck this changed my morning - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    They got rid of the escape and function keys? Developers are gonna love that.
    Uhh I think they're just digital. If you're using terminal or an IDE for coding they'll be there right where they've always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    MacRumors posters would literally buy anything Apple puts out the door. I know what you're saying, though, and I agree that they've moved away from the Mac "Pro" users the past few years. These new laptops are called MacBook Pro, but they're really more of an upgraded consumer offering.
    It's a very specific type of pro they seem to be courting - the developer / designer / product manager one. Granted it's a large rich segment (yo) but it may be a bit small. It's probably a better bet in the immediate term.

But Windows 10 allows bash commands in shell now. That's a quiet game changer MSFT made so now devs can make apps on their local machines. My app runs smoothly on a windows box already - my two devs switched almost immediately. (One of them is a data scientist at Microsoft HQ though)

It's a great time to be buying computers.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 31 Oct 2016 at 09:29 PM.

9. I'd rather have a numeric pad instead of any of this fancy shit.

10. Does any laptop have one these days? Not even Lenovo.