Page 5 of 468 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Apple Thread

Quote Originally Posted by torgo View Post
    Anyone want a MacMini? I'm selling mine, getting a MacBook today.
    Yeah, if it's Intel and Josh doesn't want it, I am interested.
    I took all your French Toast.

2. It's G4 unfortunately. I did up the RAM to a gig though.

3. Deskshade is a pretty cool little app I'm demoing right now. It hides all the stuff on your desktop, elminating the clutter. It also lets you have movies as a desktop background (haven't tried it yet but it sounds distracting). Also adds various transition animations when you change backgrounds & lets you tweak backrground colours.

And in perhaps its most useful function, it lets you lock your computer and runs a "hacker log" which pops up when you unlock it that keeps track of everything that happened while you were gone.

I quite like it, mainly for the hide desktop items function.

DL here:

http://macrabbit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grave View Post
    Saft
    http://haoli.dnsalias.com/Saft/

A Safari plugin that makes it the best browser I've ever used. Seriously. The ad blocking alone makes it worth the price of admission, which I forked over after a day. Excellent software. Saft also adds Growl support to Safari, which rules.
    Thanks for the link, I'm demoing Saft now and I'm probably going to buy it. Bookmarking sets of multiple tabs = genius. I always have the same 3 or 4 sites open, opening them all at once is great. Most of the additions are things that bring Safari up to Firefox's standards, but there are some seriously useful things it adds on top of that - like saving which tabs you had open and bringing them all up when you start the browser. Being able to compress multiple browser windows into one is totally useful too.

EDIT: One question though, how do I add new engines to the dropdown menu in the upper right? It lacks wikipedia, which sucks. I can add it as a text shortcut to the URL bar sarch, but that's kind of clunky.
    Last edited by StriderKyo; 12 Feb 2007 at 01:19 AM.
    -Kyo

4. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    Deskshade is a pretty cool little app I'm demoing right now. It hides all the stuff on your desktop, elminating the clutter.
    ? an app that cleans up your desktop. i never understood why people feel the need to clutter their shit up in the first place, and to use an app to do it?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne View Post
    ? an app that cleans up your desktop. i never understood why people feel the need to clutter their shit up in the first place, and to use an app to do it?
    Yup, I agree. The desktop cleanup wizard in XP is annoying. If my desktop is cluttered then it's because i want it to be!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne View Post
    No I explained it poorly - it makes everything on your desktop literally fade away and disappear. Click the option or hotkey, and it all comes back.
    -Kyo

7. Got the 20" iMac last Tuesday, but haven't really had time to play with it until Sat. (Busy at work)

Last computer I bought new was a PC in '98. Was also the first computer I owned. That held me over until I bought a stop-gap G3 tower from a school auction for $15. Upgraded the Ram to max 1 Gig on that and it kept me going from '05-Last Tuesday. Didn't do a hell of a lot with my computers because I just didn't have motivation, the horsepower, or the Broadband. All I did was email, and web surfing. When I buy computers, I think of them like cars, they're gonna last me 6 years minimum.

Thought of getting a Pro, but the entry price was too steep and it would be overkill for what I do.

Did some simplex iChatting with a buddy who didn't have a camera, but had a mic, and that iSight is really slick. The iSight camera was just a bonus for me, but after seeing it in action it's a pleasant surprise and more useful and valuable than I thought. My buddy wanted to get an iSight, but we noticed the stand-alone cameras have become OMG rare since they have discontinued them.

Anyway, I'm pleased with my new machine, and I hope to make it last at least 6+ years.
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/37676.png

8. Quote Originally Posted by Beefy Hits View Post
    Did some simplex iChatting with a buddy who didn't have a camera, but had a mic, and that iSight is really slick. The iSight camera was just a bonus for me, but after seeing it in action it's a pleasant surprise and more useful and valuable than I thought.
    I'm the opposite. I don't really like the iSight much in my MacBook. I don't need it or even want it, so it was just added cost. And even worse now that people know I have a camera they want to video chat now, which requires far more attention and resources than simple IMing.

9. I don't ever use the iSight for video chatting, but it's been really handy as an emergency digital camera for small things, since I don't actually have a dedicated one. For simple snapshots, it does the job, and it's nice to have it there if I ever need it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by torgo View Post
    I'm the opposite. I don't really like the iSight much in my MacBook. I don't need it or even want it, so it was just added cost. And even worse now that people know I have a camera they want to video chat now, which requires far more attention and resources than simple IMing.
    I initially felt the same as you about the iSight, but it worked so slick and easy that I fell in love with it. Luckily my IMing list is pretty short, so I don't have your problem.

Is iSight really that big of an improvement over a $50 usb camera?
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/37676.png