Page 466 of 468 FirstFirst ... 452462464465466467468 LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,660 of 4673

Thread: Official Apple Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Why an iMac? Is your phone not enough now?
    Audio work.

2. So Apple is coming under fire for recently admitting it has tech in its devices that will throttle phone performance when a battery is old or cold and can’t handle the load of peak processing. Previously their phones would just switch off.

Some are using this as a confirmation that they plan obsolescence of old phones. But that’s so dumb. They throttle it so your phone DOESNT crash and you can use it much longer than you otherwise would. People can be so dumb.

3. So you get your battery replaced by a third party servicer, and your speed is still throttled. Great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. If you took good care of your battery? Still screwed!
    That's how they screw ya!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    So Apple is coming under fire for recently admitting it has tech in its devices that will throttle phone performance when a battery is old or cold and can’t handle the load of peak processing. Previously their phones would just switch off.

Some are using this as a confirmation that they plan obsolescence of old phones. But that’s so dumb. They throttle it so your phone DOESNT crash and you can use it much longer than you otherwise would. People can be so dumb.
    It's not like the apps I run on my 6S have changed much since I got the phone in December of 2015. The only thing that has changed is iOS, which should still be compatible with a 2 year old phone, and let's be honest, outside of gaming apps the rest shouldn't require the 6 cores being touted for iPhone X.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03 Jan 2018 at 08:17 AM.

6. How is it in Android land? The last time I looked, OS upgrades were lucky to be supported a year after hardware release (yes, you can root and do it yourself), maybe 2 if it was a Google phone. My experience has been that iOS devices have had much better long term support. Batteries seem to be the one part that will reliably die over time in these devices.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. Most Android devices ship with an outdated operating system and never receive updates.
    The higher end phones have it better, especially Nexus/Pixel devices. It makes sense since those are in direct competition with Apple, while the low end stuff has no Apple equivalent.
    Apple does a better job of keeping things updated, but there's always a point at which the updates start to impede performance.

8. For sure, I rolled back my iPad from its last major upgrade because it was stuttering.
    I find it hard to point at Apple and shout "planned obsolescence" when they actually provide software support for their devices for years. This battery thing should have been handled better, though.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

9. Apple is stupid about giving iOS users information and options. To silently sneak something like this into the OS and not include a setting for it is just asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    How is it in Android land? The last time I looked, OS upgrades were lucky to be supported a year after hardware release (yes, you can root and do it yourself), maybe 2 if it was a Google phone. My experience has been that iOS devices have had much better long term support. Batteries seem to be the one part that will reliably die over time in these devices.
    On Android OS updates are the responsibility of the phone manufacturer, and few ever give any meaninful updates after a phone is no longer sold. However, I have a device running Android 4.4 that still seems to be able to run everything my newer Android 7 phone runs with no issues. The only meaningful difference seems to be the lack of Google Assistant, which kinda sucks anyway.