Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: Airport Security

1. Taken from here-

The Right to Travel

As the Supreme Court notes in Saenz v Roe, 98-97 (1999), the Constitution does not contain the word "travel" in any context, let alone an explicit right to travel (except for members of Congress, who are guaranteed the right to travel to and from Congress). The presumed right to travel, however, is firmly established in U.S. law and precedent. In U.S. v Guest, 383 U.S. 745 (1966), the Court noted, "It is a right that has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized." In fact, in Shapiro v Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969), Justice Stewart noted in a concurring opinion that "it is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. Like the right of association, ... it is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all." It is interesting to note that the Articles of Confederation had an explicit right to travel; it is now thought that the right is so fundamental that the Framers may have thought it unnecessary to include it in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.
    But we don't have a right to a specific mode of travel. Driving can just as easily be taken away, and in fact driving kills more people than flying.

There's a thought. Liquids on planes were never a threat, we just thought they were and once proven otherwise found it easier to go along with the paranoia. Well, car bombs are much more likely to happen than someone blowing up a plane with a few liters of nitro (coordinated across several plotters because who's going to carry that much at once) so why not place restrictions on parking cars? You want to be safe, don't you?

James
    Last edited by James; 11 Jan 2007 at 02:09 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    Fuck, he's already got a thread bitching about that too.
    wrong. its a thread bitching about a law that lumps in the use of headlights with wipers.

3. Let me ask all you something. Two years ago I flew down to Florida. This was the first time since 9/11 that I'd flown. I waited in a very long line to go thru the security so I knew everything that had to be done. I was wearing a jacket, pull over fleece and t-shirt (pants of course) and when I get up there I take the jacket off like they ask so they can x-ray it and step thru the machine. Once on the other side they tell me to take my fleece off. Mind you that the metal detector never went off and there is absolutely no reason to have to do this. Once I took it off they took their little wand over me only to find that, guess what, there's nothing on me. That's why I have a problem w/these people flexing their muscles. Oh yeah, something interesting. I didn't have to take my shoes off, however, on the way home, you guessed it, I had to take them off.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Once on the other side they tell me to take my fleece off. Mind you that the metal detector never went off and there is absolutely no reason to have to do this. Once I took it off they took their little wand over me only to find that, guess what, there's nothing on me. That's why I have a problem w/these people flexing their muscles. Oh yeah, something interesting. I didn't have to take my shoes off, however, on the way home, you guessed it, I had to take them off.
    You made the choice to fly, so you're subject to their rules. I've never been pulled aside, or hassled, or whatever and I fly at least twice a year every year. If you follow directions, dont pitch a fit, and go with the flow, you'll get right the fuck out real quick.

5. That's the thing I did follow their rules and still had to take off more clothing.

6. Shit happens. You made it where you had to go.

7. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    why not place restrictions on parking cars?
    There are bajillions of restrictions on parking. Come to NYC sometime.

And your right to travel = your right to lace up your shoes and walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

8. Confirmed,

It is a priviledge to fly or drive.

9. I flew out of Denver after the big blizzard last December, and I had to wait in the security line for 6 hours. The line wrapped around the airport three times. I almost missed my flight because of that. That was my worst airport security experience.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Tenchimo Dos View Post
    I flew out of Denver after the big blizzard last December, and I had to wait in the security line for 6 hours. The line wrapped around the airport three times. I almost missed my flight because of that. That was my worst airport security experience.
    How did you not miss your flight did you just happen to decide to go to the airport 6 hours ahead of time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.