Page 15 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

1. I'm pretty sure HBO did that with having consistent successful series programming. Everyone wanted this to go to HBO before Spartacus was even a show.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I'm kind of digging the series a bit more than the books. I liked the books just fine, but they were so very typical Fantasy novels with some awesome violence and incest thrown in for good measure. The show is a typical Fantasy type show, but it weeds out a lot of the uninteresting nonsense, which I inevitably skipped over in the books. They also made daenerys a way more interesting character, instead of just ridiculous a Mary Sue filler character.
    I don't know, I'm not the hugest Fantasy fan, so I mostly watch it for the sex and violence.
    You skipped parts of the books?!

And I really don't see them as "typical fantasy novels" in any way, shape, or form. In fact, they are about as far away from "typical" as possible while still being considered "fantasy."

3. They seem pretty typical if the show so far is any indication. Maybe they're just well written for a change?
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. There's that. There's also the way that your usual fantasy elements are absent through 95% of the series. Magic, monsters and such.

5. Seriously though...

NOPE.JPG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	game_of_thrones_white_walker.jpg 
Views:	627 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	61318  
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

6. Yeah, it opens like that in the books too. And then they're mostly forgotten for the next 800 pages.*

*minor first book spoiler, nothing too specific
    Last edited by epmode; 27 Apr 2011 at 09:11 PM.

7. A Song of Ice and Fire reads nothing like your typical fantasy drivel. You want typical? Read Eragon, or Sword of Truth, or Shannara trilogy (I will throw Wheel of Time in here as well, although it is a step above the other 3). GRRM is considerably more complex and the magical elements were pretty much subdue for the first book. No elves, dwarves, etc either.

8. Well...one dwarf. One AWESOME dwarf.

9. The best dwarf, really.
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

10. I'm skeptical show Arya will be as cute as brain Arya (especially since I think she's described as rather boyish and homely in the books; I just made her cute from her personality). I'm realizing how much I'd prefer to have finished the series before all the characters from the show replace my mind's versions, for better or worse. But I guess that's not really a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire reads nothing like your typical fantasy drivel. You want typical? Read Eragon, or Sword of Truth, or Shannara trilogy (I will throw Wheel of Time in here as well, although it is a step above the other 3). GRRM is considerably more complex and the magical elements were pretty much subdue for the first book. No elves, dwarves, etc either.
    Maybe you just don't like fantasy? The original Shannara trilogy skews younger than something like ASoIaF, but it's great for what it is. Not every series needs 500 characters and infinite sub-plots. Brooks got to the point.