Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy I & II Anniversary Edition

1. For some reason, I can see myself actually buying II as a time killer; I've never played it.

I bow my head in shame, I have no excuse.
    -Kyo

2. Quote Originally Posted by dementia_ View Post
    So the devs are using RPGMaker XP?
    Same thought that entered my head.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Eh, yuck. I love 2D as much as the next guy, but tracing 8-bit sprites into high resolution looks stupid. Why the hell couldn't they actually go from scratch. A lot of conventions of proportion in those sprites were just a result of having to work in such a low resolution. When you bump it up and still give the character a lego head it looks stupid. Like a fan-game or something.
    Oh gawd... I don't even want to contemplate the shitstorm of fanboy bitching that would erupt across teh intarweb if they changed the basic designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

4. Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I never got into FF2 when playing FF1&2 for GBA, simply due to how disgustingly awful FF1 was, so I may actually pick up this release of FF2. Yes, it is yet more whoring from Square, but whatever.
    They're the same fucking games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

5. Quote Originally Posted by LordPerrin View Post
    Oh gawd... I don't even want to contemplate the shitstorm of fanboy bitching that would erupt across teh intarweb if they changed the basic designs.
    Doubt it. They loved FF3 on DS.

Oh, and I have I mentioned that FF1 and 2 suck a lot? Especially 2. That's probably the worst RPG I've ever played.
    Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    They're the same fucking games.
    No, they aren't FF2 is the weird one of the series, directed by the dude that made the SaGa games. It's like unplayably bad.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    No, they aren't FF2 is the weird one of the series, directed by the dude that made the SaGa games. It's like unplayably bad.
    What was so bad about it?
    -Kyo

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I meant, they're the same games Andy couldn't stand or whatever when they came out for GBA...and PS1...and NES.

8. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    It leveled up every aspect of your character seperately, based on usage. That means to level up your hit points you had to intentionally take damage. And of course you can't control which characters enemies attack, so level grinding would boil down to putting everyone in the back row but your weak character up front while you skip turns and don't attack and hope the enemy attacks your weakest character.

Then you'd have to level up your characters attack seperately from that, again, but rotating characters and making sure everyone gets a turn. Then the same thing for magic...

There was a bunch of other awfulness associated with this leveling system too. You'd level different types of weapons up seperately, basically making it impossible to switch weapon types without a massive amount of level grinding to do it.

Like I said, it was basically unplayable.

9. It probably was an attempt at a really creative system at the time but it's more trouble than it's worth. It's probably playable if you read some FAQs and learn how to abuse the system to mold worthwhile characters (or gods for that matter). Or you can play an RPG that isn't broken or from 1990.

10. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    Imagine a SaGa game without the usual polish that series gets.

Yeah.

The GBA version is probably the only one worth playing because it totally rebalanced the leveling, but it's still worthless unless you're a complete Final Fantasy obsessive and just have to play the first game with Cid in it.