Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Oscar Nominations

1. 2007 Oscar Nominations

Best picture

“Babel,” “The Departed,” “Letters From Iwo Jima,” “Little Miss Sunshine,” “The Queen.”

Best actress

Penelope Cruz, “Volver”; Judi Dench, “Notes on a Scandal”; Helen Mirren, “The Queen”; Meryl Streep, “The Devil Wears Prada”; Kate Winslet, “Little Children.”

Best actor

Leonardo DiCaprio, “Blood Diamond”; Ryan Gosling, “Half Nelson”; Peter O’Toole, “Venus”; Will Smith, “The Pursuit of Happyness”; Forest Whitaker, “The Last King of Scotland.”

Supporting actor

Alan Arkin, “Little Miss Sunshine”; Jackie Earle Haley, “Little Children”; Djimon Hounsou, “Blood Diamond”; Eddie Murphy, “Dreamgirls”; Mark Wahlberg, “The Departed.”

Supporting actress

Adriana Barraza, “Babel”; Cate Blanchett, “Notes on a Scandal”; Abigail Breslin, “Little Miss Sunshine”; Jennifer Hudson, “Dreamgirls”; Rinko Kikuchi, “Babel.”

Best director

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, “Babel”; Martin Scorsese, “The Departed”; Clint Eastwood, “Letters From Iwo Jima”; Stephen Frears, “The Queen”; Paul Greengrass, “United 93.”

Best foreign language film

“After the Wedding,” Denmark; “Days of Glory (Indigenes),” Algeria; “The Lives of Others,” Germany; “Pan’s Labyrinth,” Mexico; “Water,” Canada.

Best adapted screenplay

Sacha Baron Cohen and Anthony Hines and Peter Baynham and Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, “Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan”; Alfonso Cuaron and Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, “Children of Men”; William Monahan, “The Departed”; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, “Little Children”; Patrick Marber, “Notes on a Scandal.”

Best original screenplay

Guillermo Arriaga, “Babel”; Iris Yamashita and Paul Haggis, “Letters From Iwo Jima”; Michael Arndt, “Little Miss Sunshine”; Guillermo del Toro, “Pan’s Labyrinth”; Peter Morgan, “The Queen.”

Animated feature

“Cars,” “Happy Feet,” “Monster House.”

Art direction

“Dreamgirls,” “The Good Shepherd,” “Pan’s Labyrinth,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “The Prestige.”

Cinematography

“The Black Dahlia,” “Children of Men,” “The Illusionist,” “Pan’s Labyrinth,” “The Prestige.”

Sound mixing

“Apocalypto,” “Blood Diamond,” “Dreamgirls,” “Flags of Our Fathers,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.”

Sound editing

“Apocalypto,” “Blood Diamond,” “Flags of Our Fathers,” “Letters From Iwo Jima,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.”

Best original song

“I Need to Wake Up” from “An Inconvenient Truth,” Melissa Etheridge; “Listen” from “Dreamgirls,” Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven; “Love You I Do” from “Dreamgirls,” Henry Krieger and Siedah Garrett; “Our Town” from “Cars,” Randy Newman; “Patience” from “Dreamgirls,” Henry Krieger and Willie Reale.

Best original score

“Babel,” Gustavo Santaolalla; “The Good German,” Thomas Newman; “Notes on a Scandal,” Philip Glass; “Pan’s Labyrinth,” Javier Navarrete; “The Queen,” Alexandre Desplat.

Costume

“Curse of the Golden Flower,” “The Devil Wears Prada,” “Dreamgirls,” “Marie Antoinette,” “The Queen.”

Documentary feature

“Deliver Us From Evil,” “An Inconvenient Truth,” “Iraq in Fragments,” “Jesus Camp,” “My Country, My Country.”

Documentary short

“The Blood of Yingzhou District,” “Recycled Life,” “Rehearsing a Dream,” “Two Hands.”

Film editing

“Babel,” “Blood Diamond,” “Children of Men,” “The Departed,” “United 93.”

Makeup

“Apocalypto,” “Click,” “Pan’s Labyrinth.”

Animated short film

“The Danish Poet,” “Lifted,” “The Little Matchgirl,” “Maestro,” “No Time for Nuts.”

Live action short film

“Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea),” “Eramos Pocos (One Too Many),” “Helmer & Son,” “The Saviour,” “West Bank Story.”

Visual effects

“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “Poseidon,” “Superman Returns.”

Yikes. I've seen even less of the nominated films this year than last year. Shit, I've seen Little Miss Sunshine, Pan's Labyrinth, Pirates, Poseiden, Click, and Superman Returns and half of those are just for technical awards. I really want to see Last King of Scotland, Blood Diamond, and The Departed. Guess it's time to play catch up.
    Last edited by BerringerX; 23 Jan 2007 at 12:22 PM.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

I haven't seen much of anything this year. But I'll take guesses on some of the major awards anyway...

Best picture

“Babel,” “The Departed,” “Letters From Iwo Jima,” “Little Miss Sunshine,” “The Queen.”
    Hm. This is difficult because "The Departed" is Scorsese, and it might be middle road quality Scorsese, but there's a sympathy Oscar out there with his name on it for being passed over so much in the past. I think he'll take the Best Director award, which is probably deserved more by Clint Eastwood again this year.

"The Queen" has gotten a lot of buzz, but the Academy seems to want to steer away from stuffy movies of late.

I think "Babel" will get it; it got the Golden Globe and seems to be campaigning really strongly for the Oscar, even though I remember it getting mixed reviews. I haven't seen it; isn't it like this year's "Crash" though?

Best actress

Penelope Cruz, “Volver”; Judi Dench, “Notes on a Scandal”; Helen Mirren, “The Queen”; Meryl Streep, “The Devil Wears Prada”; Kate Winslet, “Little Children.”
    Helen Mirren, "The Queen". The Academy still seems to like stuffy roles in stuffy films even though they haven't been awarding the movies themselves with the big honors recently.

Best actor

Leonardo DiCaprio, “Blood Diamond”; Ryan Gosling, “Half Nelson”; Peter O’Toole, “Venus”; Will Smith, “The Pursuit of Happyness”; Forest Whitaker, “The Last King of Scotland.”
    Forest Whitaker. I think he's a deserving shoe-in.

That's all I got.

3. I hate the word nod in reference to the Oscars. It just sounds stupid.

4. Better?
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

5. Yeah, screw nods. We should call them shakes!

"Hey did you hear Michael J Fox got a shake for The Frighteners?"
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX View Post
    Best picture

I thought Little Miss Sunshine was more of a dark comedy. Odd that it got nominated.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX View Post
    Best actress

I also tought Devil Wears Prada was more of a comedy. Also, no Jennifer Hudson in the list? She did win a Golden Globe. And just a side thought, why do they always have at least one person over 60? Mirren is 61, Dench is 72 and Streep is almost 60, she's 57.

Best actor

I haven't seen any of these films. I had heard that Smith could be up. I'm surprised by Gosling and Whitaker and O'Toole fits the over 60 demo I refered to above.

Supporting actor

Alan Arkin, “Little Miss Sunshine”; Jackie Earle Haley, “Little Children”; Djimon Hounsou, “Blood Diamond”; Eddie Murphy, “Dreamgirls”; Mark Wahlberg, “The Departed.”
    Arkin wasn't that great in LMS, it's funny to think that Marky Mark is up for an Oscar and is this Eddie's first?

Supporting actress

Adriana Barraza, “Babel”; Cate Blanchett, “Notes on a Scandal”; Abigail Breslin, “Little Miss Sunshine”; Jennifer Hudson, “Dreamgirls”; Rinko Kikuchi, “Babel.”
    Let's see. The girl from LMS is up for supporting actress. Now correct me if I'm wrong but this (and yes, I've seen it) is about a girl who is going to be in a beauty pagent and travels there w/her family. Wouldn't that kinda make her the lead actress? Just a thought. Jennifer Hudson's character's story in Dreamgirls was the main story. Not Beyonce. She should be up for "Best Actress". Two people for the same movie? I haven't seen it but is it possible that one could be the lead female character?

Costume

“Curse of the Golden Flower,” “The Devil Wears Prada,” “Dreamgirls,” “Marie Antoinette,” “The Queen.”
    Normally, I wouldn't care that much about this category but something caught my eye. Devil Wears Prada takes place in modern times (unlike the other nominees) a. how does it fit in, b. they are wearing everyday clothes (granted, they are expensive, every day clothes but you get the point).

7. Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Arkin wasn't that great in LMS, it's funny to think that Marky Mark is up for an Oscar and is this Eddie's first?
    I like Eddie but none of his roles have really been Oscar worthy. Not even the original Beverly Hills Cop. But I heard he was pretty not-Eddie in Dreamgirls, so just like Bill Murray they'll fill his head up and disappoint him.

8. Pan's Labyrinth ftw, all cats.

Helen Mirren has absolutely formidale talent.

Ryan Gosling is an excellent actor (as is Wahlberg), but Forest Whitaker deserves that award without question.

It'll be tough for me if The Departed wins anything because I think Infernal Affairs is much better.

I adored LMS, but I'm not sure it's Oscar-caliber stuff. And where the hell is Greg Kinnear's nom? He did a much better job than Arkin.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

The Oscars suck. It's an opportunity for Hollywood's most self important to make themselves feel like they matter, which they don't. No one gives a fuck about their opinions on global warming, war, or who has the best cheeeburger.

10. Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX View Post
    Better?