Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your most influential records/songs.

1. Your most influential records/songs.

Listening to a Toadies song done acoustic it got me thinking about records that really influenced me as a kid and what they were. The kind of stuff that grows with you and make you who you are.

I'm still thinking, but:

Local H - Fritz's Corner

Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction - album

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

Deftones - Around The Fur

Ulver - Madrigal of Night

Phil Collins - Greatest Hits

CCR - ALL

You?
    Boo, Hiss.

Ramones - Ramones -
    This one should be obvious.

Wu Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
    The first Hip Hop record that really clicked with me.

Operation Ivy - Energy
    Introduced me to an asshole of a bass player that seriously influenced the way I played for a long time.

Tubeway Army - Replicas
    No Tubeway Army no Quarantines.

The Queers - Don't Back Down
    Pretty much the blueprint for my first "real" band.

Poison - Look What the Cat Dragged in
    The third cassette tape I ever purchased with my allowance. I still listen to this one regularly. When these guys were on the were really fucking on.

Minor Threat - Complete Discography
    Opened my eyes to the world of fast, angry music. Fun Fact: I played in a Minor Threat cover band for a few months. One of our last shows was a basement show in DC where we were billed as Minor Threat. I fully expected to get my ass kicked, but instead a ton of kids showed up and went full banana when we played. One of my favourite shows I've ever played.

Nirvana - Nevermind
    Made me start a band. That band consisted of a rubber bucket for a kick drum and a shower stool with a metal bucket on it for a snare drum and a bass guitar.

Screeching Weasel - Boogadaboogadaboogada
    Yeah, Ben Weasel is a total cockbag piece of shit, but he wrote some great songs. I still kind of sing like this jerk sometimes.

3. Mariah Carey - Lovesongs

Mariah has the grittiness of the earliest Velvet Underground records on this album. She inspired me to get in touch with my soul. She has true power and wit and is an essential add-on to anyone's Spotify list.

Celene Dion - Greatest Hits

Ever since I saw Titanics, greatest film ever, I was inspired to listen to Celene and oh wow is she the greatest. Hits like "Here, Far, Wherever You Are" inspire me to be a better person.

Kelly Clarkson - [all]

Kelly Clarkson's discography is essentially peering to the mind of pure genius. American Idol is the standard of American musicianship today, just like Teen Bop magazine was in the 90s, and Kelly Clarkson the finest.

Backstreet Boys - I want U back

Oh, the Backstreet Boys. Such skilled purveyors of raw, urban musicianship. I think 98 Degreez "sold out" but the Backstreet Boys always keep shit real, like they're called Backstreet Boys because they're in tune with the streets and know that life. Baby, baby, want you back, BYE BYE

4. I see what you did there.

I would not have guess CCR. It makes sense for the area though.

6. Hmm. Let's see if my brain will work here. It'd be neat to sit down and chart how you discovered stuff. "Six Feet Under > Zero 7 > Royksopp > The Knife" etc. Anyway:

1) Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Originally I listened to it because my parents didn't want me listening to it. I didn't start picking up on the messages and whatnot until much later, but I managed to buy the tape with money I saved. It lead to LL Cool J, NWA, and a lot of other stuff.

2) Nirvana - Bleach

My cousin gave me the cassette tape and Nirvana introduced me to all kinds of other crap. I was a pretty conservative kid so when I picked up Incesticide and read Kurt's letter inside I began changing politically.

3) Rage Against the Machine

Drove me right to the other side of things politically.

4) Into Another

They were my intro to the whole NYHC scene. Later, the song "Herbivore" turned me into a pansy vegan straightedge kid. I look back on that with disdain but at the time it was important as hell to me. (EDIT: Yes, I listened to Earth Crisis and Strife religiously.)

5) David Bowie - Ziggy

I remember being obsessed with Bowie after hearing "Under Pressure" so a friend loaned me the Ziggy Stardust album. (I was quite thrilled when my favorite track showed up in Guardians of the Galaxy.) Bowie leads to all kinds of stuff, of course.

6) Neil Young - Harvest

My dad's favorite artist, and at some point I figured I needed to listen. Neil Young needs no explanation.

7) Jorge Ben - Puro Suingue

"O Telefone Tocou Novamente" in particular. Just great stuff that lead to other samba/swing/etc. artists.

8) Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain

Both the song itself and the rest of the album. Gave me an appreciation for real folk/country stuff.

9) Six Feet Under (there are two soundtrack CDs)

Found out about Lamb, Zero 7, The Devlins, Interpol, Arcade Fire, Nina Simone from the soundtracks/show. Those branch into other great places.

10) The Procussions - 5 Sparrows For 2 Cents

One day I got real tired of all the "N" words, bragging, demeaning of women, glorification of drug use in rap/hip-hop. I somehow came across The Procussions, who are a Christian hip-hop group. I initially laughed at the idea but eventually ended up embracing the hypocrisy. Good lyrics, good beats, and they aren't evangelists so whatever. Any crap released by idiots like Kanye, Drake, et al is compared to this stuff and falls flat for me.

11) Local Natives - Gorilla Manor

Worked with a girl who knows the band, went to a show, thought they were okay and bought the album. It's fucking phenomenal and lead to Explosions in the Sky, Midlake, Other Lives, and a great many other independent (hipster) bands.
    Last edited by Calliander; 23 Dec 2014 at 01:15 PM.

7. For me the only thing that I've listened to since childhood that grew with me and helped shape who I am would be the first seven AC/DC albums. From High Voltage through Back In Black. Lots of other stuff has been influential but not like that. I didn't hear most of the other stuff that I'd call genuinely influential until after Flick of the Switch came out. That akbum sucked and put me off AC/DC which then freed me up to listen to other stuff. That's when Dr Demento came into play and then rap and punk/metal.

8. Jesus Christ Dr. Demento ! That is a serious beginning for me and my love of music. Saturday night, 10 to midnight. I would stay up with am/fm headphones and be delighted! Later when I got a boombox I'd make Demento mix tapes. I had a serious thing with radio when I was a kid. Still do to a degree.

For me Queen and the Cars is where my love of music began. These were my first 8 tracks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4b241c8a85ec5_110247n.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	75750

Name:	17mzwwpb8r1u.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	75751

Then I got seriously into Prince's catalog, esp these two:

Name:	Dirty-Mind.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	75752

Name:	R-125881-1363467542-7459.jpeg.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	75753

I'll continue this in the near future. In the meantime, some youtube vids would be fun to watch of your all time favorites.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poison-Look-What-the-Cat-Dragged-In.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	75754  

I spy Poison.

10. You gotta cry tough.....

My older sister bought that Cars album back in the day; It was such a great album. I just recently bought the CD.

Kiss never got a lot of respect back in the day. They were often considered a gimmick band with little talent. My 1st two albums from the band were Destroyer and Alive. Alive really showed what Kiss was about, live shows with long guitar solos, drum solos, explosions and working the crowd. I finally got to see the band in the 90s when they did their farewell tour.

Last edited by gamevet; 23 Dec 2014 at 10:41 PM.