Thread: Any way to whip this Dell into shape?

1. Any way to whip this Dell into shape?

I got my hands on a Dell (P4 2.8 GHz, 512 RAM, and no AGP or PCI-express slots). Is it possible to upgrade it into a semi-decent gaming machine? The mainboard isn't worth replacing, because of the weird custom access points in the back. I plan on upping the memory, and putting in a 256MB PCI video card, like the Radeon 9250 or the Radeon X1300. (HardOCP makes the X1300 sound like garbage, though.)

Is it worth putting ~$200 into this machine to get a WOW/CS:Source-playing box (if they'll even play worth a damn)? I probably won't be able to afford to build a respectable PC until the end of the year.

TIA

2. No. I had similar restrictions with my Dell 3000 and honestly, the board is just hella limited. No PCI-E slot, 1 GB RAM cap and poor heating ventilation. Do like I did and build your own rig. You'll thank yourself for it.

3. Oh, I just saw you can't afford to build your own rig. You can get the stuff on credit and pay it off little by little but with interest it'll probably cost you more than you want it to.

I you need to play those games then do what's necessary. But building your own doesn't cost too much. I can come to about $600-700 for a decent rig.