Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Wii Thread: Part 5

1. Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid View Post
    Also, LOL at Nintendo for having some crappy 3rd party game come packaged with a Steering Wheel attachment. It seems like they should have packed it in with their own game if they wanted to sell more copies.
    There is no steering wheel attachment for ExciteTruck because you don't turn the controller, you tilt it. Big difference.

The game controls damn near perfectly when you figure it out.
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.

2. Quote Originally Posted by PBMax View Post
    There is no steering wheel attachment for ExciteTruck because you don't turn the controller, you tilt it. Big difference.

The game controls damn near perfectly when you figure it out.
    yeah, the controls don't seem to be that hard. i was with my friend at gamestop right after they received their wii demo console, and he decided to try out excite truck. at first he had a little trouble with it, but in a matter of minutes he had the controls down and was having a lot of fun playing it.
    "I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me."

3. Well, that game just makes me feel really retarded then. I tried holding the controller like a steering wheel for awhile, and then I tried tilting the controller...but both styles didn't seem to make a bit of difference for me. I just suck at the game then. It may just be the arcadey style of the game too though...because I just had the most difficult time keeping my car on the road. I'm glad that others got some enjoyment out of the game, but its just not my cup of tea I guess.

I kinda wish that Excite Truck controlled more like the driving mini-games on Wario Ware...because that seems to control perfectly for me.

4. No, it's the game. It's shit in every way. It's not as precise as a gamepad or a wheel. I have yet to meet someone who likes it. It's been panned by every legitimate gaming site out there (and if it was an X360 racer, it'd get even worse scores, around the 2-2.5 range).

"Whether you like the games or not, stuff like Electroplankton, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Kirby Canvas Curse, Elite Beat Agents, and Meteos are among the best uses of the DS hardware."

Half of those aren't even what I'd call "games" (the first three). Oh and as for the original post, 1, 2, 3, 8
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 27 Jan 2007 at 10:00 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid View Post
    I disagree with this to an extent, because Nintendo is also guilty of making games with half-assed touch screen and wii-mote controls for the DS and Wii.
    Oh I agree--I didn't mean to say that everything Nintendo does is a shining example to other developers, just that the best uses of DS's unique features are all in Nintendo games.

Then, if you look at the Wii, I think most of the 3rd party developers made better use of the Wii-mote than Nintendo did. They put some half-assed sword swings into Zelda at the last minute, and Excite Truck is quite possibly the most horrible controlling game on the system IMO. Meanwhile, games like Elebits, Trauma Center, Red Steel (yes, this game is good), and Rayman (these are the only games I have played for the Wii) arguably make better use of the Wii-mote. I even think Rayman is a much better game than the new Wario-ware
    I'd say so far the best use of Wii is found in Wii Sports, but at the same time I don't think anything really shows how the Wii controller can change games.

Also, I think Excite Truck controls fine--my dad even figured it out pretty quickly. Specifically what problems do you have with the game's control? I will say that while I think the game controls fine, I wouldn't consider it a shining example of what to do with Wii as the Wii Remote is just replacing a standard analog stick. It's more intuitive to non-gamers, sure, but hardly innovative.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    No, it's the game. It's shit in every way. It's not as precise as a gamepad or a wheel. I have yet to meet someone who likes it. It's been panned by every legitimate gaming site out there (and if it was an X360 racer, it'd get even worse scores, around the 2-2.5 range).
    Average press score is about 7.4, IGN gave it a 8.0. "IGN isn't a legitimate gaming site!" It's a good game. I wasn't keen to it at first, thought it was a'ight but awful looking and shallow. I ended up getting the game for free and played a ton of it. Turns out it does, in fact, look f'ing awful, but it's not as shallow and lame as I first thought. It's really a blast going through all the events going for S ranks. Probably the most fun I've had with (single player) Wii yet.

Excite Truck ain't without its problems (graphics, multiplayer), but what's there is pretty good. Don't roll over this spoiler unless you want to be shocked into typing up an angry response: To compare to other launch racers, I like Excite Truck better than PGR3 (played both games a lot), but it's nowhere near Ridge Racer V.

7. We all know your taste is terrible. This spoiler is not news to us nor does it anger me.

8. I have had a Wii since day one, and it does what it does, for better or worse.

What I am wondering is, when will a talented AAA level development team build a game from the ground up that takes advantage of the Wii, yet still appeals to the most hardcore of players.

Is it impossible to impress the hardcore without graphics?

Again, not a point about the Wii being successful, profitable, fun, etc. as it looks like it will be all of those things. But as a "hardcore gamer" myself (eww, what an awful term) I want games that are tailored to me. I always keep games around that are fun for friends, parties, casual gamers, my girlfriend, etc. To be selfish for a minute though, when will titles made with me in mind be made that really take advantage of the system?

I thought Zelda would be that game, but it seems more like a re-release with enhanced features. Not a bad game, but a game that "could" be done elsewhere.

It seems like things like Cooking Mama and Trauma Center are a start, as they really couldn't be done elsewhere, but they are enhanced DS games made for the TV. They are also not really AAA titles.

When will the Wii get a Gears/Oblivion/Resistance/GRAW quality game that the other systems can't deliver?

PS: I don't hate the Wii and I'm not bashing it. This is a legitimate question. I will be buying a good chunk of the Nintendo games and the big Wii exclusive games, but it still feels like the tip of the iceberg to me.

Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    I'll save some of you some time, just copy & paste!

Nintendo is going after a different market, they're not aiming it at you!
    Not really what I meant, but I am sort of asking if this may be the case.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    What I am wondering is, when will a talented AAA level development team build a game from the ground up that takes advantage of the Wii, yet still appeals to the most hardcore of players.
    It's what a lot of people are wondering. Outside of Nintendo franchises--which you either love or can't stand to play again (I most fit the former)--not much has been announced. Which is certainly disappointing. The only non-Nintendo, "meaty" game I'm looking forward to is No More Heroes.

I think it's only a matter of time. With people like Kojima expressing honest interest in Wii, I'm excited about the possibilities with Wii.

P.S. I'm excited about Xbox and PlayStation stuff, too.

10. Give the Wii a year. If we aren't hearing about major stuff from AAA developers that take full advantage of what the Wii can do, then I'll admit it's in trouble. Right now, though, it's a really fun toy with some stupidly fun goofy-ass games.

James