Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Wii Thread: Part 5

1. Quote Originally Posted by PBMax View Post
    The ironic part is that anyone who says this is completely missing the point. Nintendo's target market with the Wii is everyone -- including the neophyte who played his first game yesterday and the long time "hardcore" gamer.
    Nintendo may like to see it that way, but it's not doing a very good job of effectuating that "goal." If it truly was targeting "everyone," it would allow an option for non-Wiimote controls in their games, for those of us who don't (always) want to shake the controller to perform an in-game function. It would also implement a decent online service that would allow people to play online.

I agree with Melf's post in that Nintendo doesn't really know what it wants to do. On one hand, it wants to reach a wider, more casual audience, but the majority of the Wii's library is ports of PS3/Xbox 360 games. On the other hand, it also wants to appeal to long-time gamers, but it doesn't offer any features that would draw in that crowd.

2. Need a music rhythm game (not that weak sauce shit in Rayman) for Wii, then I am done with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Then it has already lost!
    There is an E3. It's just industry-only and smaller, no?

Quote Originally Posted by PBMax View Post
    The very definition of a hardcore gamer used to be someone who valued gameplay above graphics or licenses. So the answer is yes.

Unfortunately marketing buffoons have managed to mutate the definition of a hardcore gamer to someone who buys a 70" HDMI flatscreen and surround sound system to play Madden. Those people will never be impressed by a wide breadth of titles and genres -- even with mind-altering graphics -- because they weren't gamers to begin with.
    You're actually the one who mutated the definition as I always understood it. A hardcore gamer to me always has been and always will be a person who will d whatever it takes to play the best version of the best games in the best manner. They had Neo Geos in the 1990s and have HDTVs today, because that what it takes to have the best eperience with the best games. That's definitely not to say that all of the best games need those setups, but some do, so the hardcore have the option available.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    If it truly was targeting "everyone," it would allow an option for non-Wiimote controls in their games, for those of us who don't (always) want to shake the controller to perform an in-game function.
    The Wii is the controller. If you don't like it you'll never like the system. No matter how hard you try you can't hook everyone.
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.

6. Quote Originally Posted by PBMax View Post
    The Wii is the controller. If you don't like it you'll never like the system. No matter how hard you try you can't hook everyone.
    That's only because Nintendo makes the motion-sensor feature mandatory. It's not like it can't be done on a technical level. Nintendo could easily allow for games (like Twilight Princess and Metal Slug Anthology) to have the option of traditional controls or compatibility with the classic controller. It's all just arbitrary and forced.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    That's only because Nintendo makes the motion-sensor feature mandatory. It's not like it can't be done on a technical level. Nintendo could easily allow for games (like Twilight Princess and Metal Slug Anthology) to have the option of traditional controls or compatibility with the classic controller. It's all just arbitrary and forced.
    But those are ports. Nintendo isn't really selling the uniqueness of the console in the long term on a GC port and PS2 port

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

In the Twilight Princess dungeon I saw Spent fought a huge toad creature. He said he'd bet me ten bucks that he had to throw bombs in to the frogs mouth in order to knock it down. He was right and I smartly refused his bet. Having to sneak around dungeons and fight bosses with the same weaknesses they had 4 games running now is absolutely unacceptable and exactly why the series is corroding.
    Funny you say that since the main boss of that dungeon is one of the best and unique in the game IMO.

Most of Twilight Princess' bosses are not rehashes. They're generally too easy to beat but at least they are creative.

9. Quote Originally Posted by avatar View Post
    But those are ports. Nintendo isn't really selling the uniqueness of the console in the long term on a GC port and PS2 port.
    How does that address my point that Nintendo isn't doing much to cater to the traditional gamer who doesn't always want play video games with motion-sensor controls?

And if you're going to say that those people are not Nintendo's target audience, then address your post to PBMax.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    You're actually the one who mutated the definition as I always understood it. A hardcore gamer to me always has been and always will be a person who will d whatever it takes to play the best version of the best games in the best manner. They had Neo Geos in the 1990s and have HDTVs today, because that what it takes to have the best eperience with the best games. That's definitely not to say that all of the best games need those setups, but some do, so the hardcore have the option available.
    Apparently it means, and has always meant, different things to all.

For me a hardcore gamer has always been a person who buys and plays games religiously, while avidly following the industry and avoiding marketed crap like the movie tie-ins that brought down the 16-bit era.

Having a NeoGeo home system in the 90's -- and actually supporting it with games -- was more a privilege of the wealthy than a requirement. Of course now that the MVS market is so cheap there isn't much excuse.

Still I would argue that there are so-called "hardcore" gamers today who own neither a Neo Geo or an HDTV.

This is all off-topic though. The point is that Nintendo, and all console makers, target the whole market -- including whatever you or I call "hardcore" and newbies.

Perhaps Nintendo has been so succesful in bringing in new players with the DS and Wii that they get branded as making games solely for non-gamers. But the reality is that Sony and Microsoft would kill to have the same success.
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.