Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox Spherex 5.1 surround system $99 at Costco

1. Xbox Spherex 5.1 surround system $99 at Costco

Some reports that Costco around the country are lowering the price to $99, down from 150-200 in some stores and from ~300 in most other retail outlets.

http://www.spherexinc.com/home.aspx
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/xbox/105spherex/

All the reviews I've read for it thus far offer a great amount of praise for something in this price range, and I'm in need of a cheap surround sound solution.

2. Damn, no Costco near me...this would be a nice setup for the game room.

If anyone feels like being nice and would be willing to pick one up for me, drop me a PM.
    Last edited by K3V; 04 Feb 2007 at 11:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

3. So, those things are the shit, huh?

4. no luck at the costcos in dallas

5. Managed to get this, it's stellar, really. One thing about its rarity, it's a discontinued item that went through a price drop just before Christmas, so it might be difficult to find.

Still, if you manage to find it, pick it up, seriously. Trivial to set up, and really powerful. 5 inputs, 2 optical in, one analog, one coax, and a headphone jack, which lines up perfectly with my setup (XB360 and Ps2 optical in, Wii for analog, Mac Mini headphone jack)

6. I have this. Beware that the sub/receiver unit may flip out on you and totally suck and customer service is nonexistent. Mine did. That said, the speakers alone are worth the shitton more than $99 I spent on this. I had no problem setting the speakers up with a standard receiver and they probably sound as good as $1000 speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

7. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    I have this. Beware that the sub/receiver unit may flip out on you and totally suck and customer service is nonexistent. Mine did. That said, the speakers alone are worth the shitton more than $99 I spent on this. I had no problem setting the speakers up with a standard receiver and they probably sound as good as $1000 speakers.
    Well yes, I've read complaints that sometimes it goes buggy and requires you to hard reset the system if the sound drops when changing between inputs, but you had an incident where it totally crapped out on you? I've got 21 days to return it in any case, but it would sure suck.

8. How big are the speakers? I have a pretty nice phillips reciever, but this sounds like a deal and a half.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    How big are the speakers? I have a pretty nice phillips reciever, but this sounds like a deal and a half.
    They're actually kind of small and unassuming, besides the fact that they look like swollen vaginas. They're no bigger than, say, a newborn baby's head, it's bizarre that I make that comparison because they have an odd shape. If you want a point of reference, in the first picture the receiver is about 16 inches tall.

10. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    Well yes, I've read complaints that sometimes it goes buggy and requires you to hard reset the system if the sound drops when changing between inputs, but you had an incident where it totally crapped out on you? I've got 21 days to return it in any case, but it would sure suck.
    Sure...if "hard reset" means "unplug it for a few months and hope it works next year." Once it did. Once it didn't.

Still worth it for the speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.