Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMB Lost Levels GBA Famicom Mini

1. SMB Lost Levels GBA Famicom Mini

I have had Lost Levels unlocked on my SMB DX cart for a long time (which is renamed to "SMB For Super Players"). But it only has 8 levels. For anyone who owns the Famicom mini GBA cart: I'd assume obviously it has all 9 levels but does it also have the A-D worlds? And are they easier to access than on the Fami rom (I read you have to beat the game 8 times before A-D can be accessed)?
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 08 Feb 2007 at 01:39 AM.

2. if it wasn't so expensive i'd get it. Alas and all that.

FAQ for the gba version-

"After the ending is over, the game will save, and the screen will show a box
    with Japanese text telling you that the game was saved. Press B, and either one
    of two things will happen. If you beat this game without warping, you'll be
    taken to World 9 with one life, and beating 9-4 will take you to 9-1. If you
    warped, even once, you'll return to the title screen. You'll likely notice that
    there is a star flashing next to the "Super Mario Bros. 2" logo: This
    represents how many times you have beaten the game. You can get up to 24 stars.
    Once you get 8 or more stars, hold B and press Start to start on World A-1!"
    Donk

3. I never made it far in Lost Levels. I'm hoping that SMB2-J is really coming to VC and that it's not all a lie. I'd like to play it with the original graphics. Something about updated Mario games poops in my mouth.
    Donk

4. Thanks for the info, Finch! I'll have to track it down someday.

For now I'll just play it on my PSP's NesterJ.

edit: I guess theoretically I could gradually beat the game 8 times in a row using save states, then make a save state of the game when A-D is enabled. Wow, being a sadistic old school SMB fan is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    That sounds irritating.

I know I'd do it anyway if I had the game, though.
    I would too.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 08 Feb 2007 at 02:31 AM.

5. Got some more info on this from someone on shmups:

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign
    If the Famicom Mini version is the original Famicom game stuffed on a GBA cart, you can bet you'll have to beat the game 8 times in order to access Worlds A-D (and most likely it is, a pain in the ass yes, but keeps one playing).

I save stated on the original SMB LL Famicom, that way in case things didn't save after beating it, I believe you had to be hardcore and go through 8 times without stopping, I'd always start with one extra star on the title screen each time. It's believed the worlds A-D are on SMBDX, but the only way to access them is through a cheat device, the worlds aren't finished and there are no enemies so to speak, the game is impossible to beat in these 'extra' stages.
    Beat the game 8 times without stopping? Good grief. I hope that's not how the Famicom mini rev is. Otherwise I will just stick with the rom and save state for sure. I'd like to think the GBA cart would save each star to flash, letting you gradually unlock A-D over time.

Interesting too that 9/A-D apparently were going to be included on DX (anyone else ever use a cheat on the cart and confirm this?). Guess that may nullify speculation that they were nixed for space and it may have actually just been due to deadline?
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 08 Feb 2007 at 06:03 PM.

6. Just one more update to this thread for finch, chao and anyone else reading. Someone on shmups who actually owns the cart had this to say:

Quote Originally Posted by CecilMcW00t
    The GBA port is worth every penny. And yes, the game data is saved to flash so you don't have to do it in one sitting.
    It's a future purchase for sure now.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 08 Feb 2007 at 10:31 PM.

7. If it isn't released to VC in original format, i'll get it eventually. I love the Famicom Mini releases. The casing is so damn classy. I'd love it if there were more "special" releases like the Fami Minis and the Bit Generations releases.
    Donk

8. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    If it isn't released to VC in original format, i'll get it eventually.
    That's the thing. I have my doubts that Nintendo is willing to write a little Famicom emulator for this game when they can't even be bothered to emulate ghost save data on MK 64. So it's rom/GBA cart for me for sure. Of course I hope the Lost Levels VC rumours are true. Even if they are though, I'm sure it'll fall under their infuriating "VC games released only in their native region" policy. Not like I have to tell you that.

I love the Famicom Mini releases. The casing is so damn classy. I'd love it if there were more "special" releases like the Fami Minis and the Bit Generations releases.
    Agreed. I would have eventually bought the NES SP if only it hadn't used the old blurry SP 1 screen. An NES Lite would rule.