Page 1 of 53 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 NFL Offseason Thread

2007 NFL Offseason Thread

I have mixed feelings about this decision, but the Cowboys have settled on Wade Phillips as their Head Coach. I was pulling for Norv Turner, due to his Dallas connections. However, I think defense always should come first, so I can't argue with that part of the decision. I also like that they stuck with a 3-4 guy instead of reworking the defense again.

2. seriously, how did he get to be the #1 draft guru? does he have the weirdest job in america?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

The guys at work I play fantasy football with call me Mel Kiper, III, because I outdraft them every damn year. Speaking of which, much like the NCAA Bowl Pick'em, you didn't have the balls to play fantasy football with us either.

4. no he decided to join too late. And he had to sign up to yahoo and he didn't want too.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

You're thinking of the Bowl Pick'em. He was being a pussy about signing up for ESPN.com.

6. Oh sorry.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The guys at work I play fantasy football with call me Mel Kiper, III, because I outdraft them every damn year. Speaking of which, much like the NCAA Bowl Pick'em, you didn't have the balls to play fantasy football with us either.
    if by "balls" you mean "shit to give"...i've never "played" any fantasy sport of any kind save for fantasy baseball last year when i somehow inherited the team my gf drafted in her work league because she likes looking like the cool girl who knows sports

(and courage really isn't the issue...you could however call me out on my laziness and impatience with a constant unyielding bombardment of shittalkery)

(i could possibly be convinced however by pics of you with a kiper koiffure)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this decision, but the Cowboys have settled on Wade Phillips as their Head Coach. I was pulling for Norv Turner, due to his Dallas connections. However, I think defense always should come first, so I can't argue with that part of the decision. I also like that they stuck with a 3-4 guy instead of reworking the defense again.
    Awesome. At the very least the Niners will have a better record than the Cowboys this year.

9. Seriously...Wade Phillips? Are you kidding me? How does this guy get another head coaching job in the NFL?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Seriously...Wade Phillips? Are you kidding me? How does this guy get another head coaching job in the NFL?
    I don't have a problem with Wade Phillips. He's defineatly better than Chan Gailey or Barry Switzer.

Theisman agrees with the pick:

The hiring of Wade Phillips as the Dallas Cowboys head coach is a good one for several reasons.
    One, this hire allows Jason Garrett to become the offensive coordinator. The hiring of Garrett early in this process deemed it necessary for the Cowboys to hire a defensive coach because hiring an offensive head coach with Garrett already there as the de facto offensive coordinator would've been an immediate circumvention of the head coach's power. It would've been an odd and potentially troublesome situation for an offensive coach like a Norv Turner to have a coordinator in place already.

The second reason is defensive. Phillips ensures the Cowboys won't have to change much defensively as he's a 3-4 coach just like Parcells. The Cowboys have drafted and signed personnel in recent years to play the 3-4 and hiring a 4-3 coach like Ron Rivera would've required a turnaround of the defense that would've stunted its growth.

Third, Phillips is a darn good football coach. He was successful in Buffalo and he knows how to win. There weren't a lot of experienced and successful head coaching options out there for Jerry Jones, but he found a very good one in Phillips.

There are still a ton of questions that the Cowboys and Phillips will have to answer about this team in the coming season, but his hiring is a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by gamevet; 09 Feb 2007 at 12:49 AM.