Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most users ever online was 1,052, 10-18-2006 at 01:40 PM.

1. Most users ever online was 1,052, 10-18-2006 at 01:40 PM.

This stat appears on the forum index page under Currently Active Users. It got me curious.

Does it look at unique IPs? Like, over the course of sixty seconds or something? Even if it was over five or ten minutes, that still sounds like a lot to me -- over 1000 different people -- when we have, what, 100 or less regular posters? Do that many guests visit the site? Perhaps google was turning up one of our threads for a popular game that was released around that time?

~20 out of 1,000 is not a good useful ratio.

3. There's a ridiculous amount of lurkers on these forums for whatever reason (me).
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. and google bots and shit.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    (me).
    Try harder.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Giltc'h of Outworld View Post
    Try harder.
    Sadly I think he is.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

7. It's bots, more than likely. My forum has a "biggest day" of 197 people at once, and no way did we ever have ever close to that many active people at one time.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

8. Ah, I never realized bots could be such a huge factor. Kinda makes that stat meaningless then...

9. We get closer to 300 registered users a day, not 100, and there are a lot more lurkers than you think. Just yesterday, I was on Xbox Live and someone asked me if the "TNL" in my gamertag referred to this site. The most registered users I ever saw on at once was close to 100 back in May when the Nintendo press conference was happening.

But, yeah, when the 1000 users were on, 80% were bots.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Giltc'h of Outworld View Post
    Try harder.
    Jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    But, yeah, when the 1000 users were on, 80% were bots.
    What do google bots do, exactly?
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 11 Feb 2007 at 10:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."