Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Play 20 year old LaserDisc games free and legal

1. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Isn't there a LaserDisc game that where you are controlling a jet and shooting things down? Can't remember the name now.
    Astron Belt. Also its pseudo sequel Galaxy Ranger.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 11 Feb 2007 at 01:46 PM.

2. Where's support for Time Gal and Freedom Fighter??

And if this thing somehow magically lets me also download Road Blaster (I'm DLing Space Ace right now, so can't tell), then I'll love it forever.

Oh, and I shot through the first 3.xxGB of download data in like a minute flat, and now it's taking forever on a second 982MB chunk.
    Last edited by mollipen; 11 Feb 2007 at 03:37 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    Where's support for Time Gal and Freedom Fighter??

And if this thing somehow magically lets me also download Road Blaster (I'm DLing Space Ace right now, so can't tell), then I'll love it forever.
    It won't. There are other means of getting it, but I couldn't really help you on that one.

Laserdisc games will be in MAME some time in the next few months. I think we'll probably see Time Gal then.

4. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    Where's support for Time Gal and Freedom Fighter??
    Never understood why they never added support, unless it uses a different technology, as they have other stuff like Cliff Hanger and Road Blaster.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    A Windows version...nice. I put Daphe on my MAME years back and remember the DOS version being a complete nightmare to get setup.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Isn't there a LaserDisc game that where you are controlling a jet and shooting things down? Can't remember the name now.
    There's MACH 3, which Mylstar did for the US and Taito licensed for Japan. You choose one of 2 modes- the fighter mode (like Astron Belt with an F-14) or the bomber mode (sort of a Xevious on laserdisc). This was followed later by Us vs. Them, an alien invasion themed game which also has side-scroll levels.

Inter Stellar by Funai/Gakken is another LD shooter I've tried out on Daphne, and it's great. You can only move left and right, but you can aim shots diagonally. There are a lot of nice CGI backgrounds, like one with trippy Darius Gaiden style line-scrolling effects.

7. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    Oh, and I shot through the first 3.xxGB of download data in like a minute flat, and now it's taking forever on a second 982MB chunk.
    Yeah, I hate to say (and you probably already know) but it didn't really download 3.whateverGB in a minute. I've no idea what it really did, but the same thing happened to me. That 982MB chunk is actually the 3.something GB. Clearer details are available from the Daphne Loader in File -> View Transfers. On the plus side, I'm now up to 2/3 of Space Ace with only a bit over 1GB left. These things are huge!

James

8. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    There's MACH 3, which Mylstar did for the US and Taito licensed for Japan. You choose one of 2 modes- the fighter mode (like Astron Belt with an F-14) or the bomber mode (sort of a Xevious on laserdisc). This was followed later by Us vs. Them, an alien invasion themed game which also has side-scroll levels.

Inter Stellar by Funai/Gakken is another LD shooter I've tried out on Daphne, and it's great. You can only move left and right, but you can aim shots diagonally. There are a lot of nice CGI backgrounds, like one with trippy Darius Gaiden style line-scrolling effects.
    Mach 3, that's right. I wanted to play that when I was a kid but it was way too expensive so I only get to watch.

9. Ok, so I'm a dumbass. Apparently it requires you to have the DVD in the drive to play.

The good news is, that if you did wait til its done downloading, I think you can copy the current stable release (0.997 or something) from the website over top of it, and can play those games you just wasted your time downloading, but that's kinda not free and legal, and thus not as cool.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 11 Feb 2007 at 11:36 PM.

10. asshole