Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest FU! Comic Retcon

1. Biggest FU! Comic Retcon

I was thinking about various retcons and how funny it is when one creator takes his whole run setting stuff up and changes things, and then within a small amount of time a new creator comes on and totally erases/contradicts everything the other guy did.

In the early to mid '90s my buddy at the LCS turned me onto an indy book called Faust. Very cool, very adult book written by David Quinn with outstanding art by Tim Vigil.
    A while later I heard that Quinn was picked up by Marvel to take over Dr. Strange. Being so impressed with his handling of the occult in Faust, I thought that was a match made in heaven. While his run (i thought) was fairly decent, apparently no one else did. He spent over a year doing all these crazy things to Strange, and then he got yanked off the book. Warren Ellis was given the book and in the first page of his very first issue, he totally wiped away everything Quinn had done. Hows that for a FU?

What are some of the funniest/bizarrest retcons you guys can think of?

2. X-men after Morrison - FUCK YOU CHRIS CLAREMONT!

3. Quote Originally Posted by ShineAqua View Post
    X-men after Morrison - FUCK YOU CHRIS CLAREMONT!
    QFT

4. The biggest one that comes to mind for me is Jason Todd (aka Robin the 2nd) actually alive all this time and didnt die via Joker by crowbar + bomb. Talk about a big FU to 20 years of DC writers and readers.

5. The Clone Saga

6. the what?
    i know what you mean, but i have put it far out of my mind

7. Quote Originally Posted by Kaneda View Post
    The Clone Saga

8. It's because of all of the retcons that Marvel bugs me so much.

Recently I was talking to a friend that mentioned to me the Civil War story was "actually really good" and I asked how on earth anyone would buy into whatever earth-shattering revelations they made today that they'll retcon tomorrow. He says "nah man, lots of big stuff has been happening. Lots of characters dying." I ask who, he mentions Gambit.

I wiki gambit and he's come back as one of Apocalypse's henchman. Next?

Colossus. Wiki'd, he came back to life. Next?

The Vision. Wiki'd, a new Vision was built from the remains of the old. Next?

Hawkeye. Wiki'd, he came back from a parallel universe. Next?

The Jester. Wiki'd, the guy Punisher killed was just a guy using the original Jester's costume.

"Well, Spider Man revealed his identity!"

I say "great that's happened before, but maybe it'll last this time". I hesitated with my next question, but asked it anyways, "at least Aunt May is still dead, right?"

Wiki'd and nope. The one that died was a clone.

Marvel has no balls.

9. I agree with Jetman though. The Jason Todd one is a big middle finger to the fans that voted him to die. Now 20 years later they bring him back, cause it would be cool. Yeah sure it would be cool, but it doesn't mean initiate.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

10. Quote Originally Posted by ShineAqua View Post
    X-men after Morrison - FUCK YOU CHRIS CLAREMONT!
    You mean Fuck you Joe Kelly. Joe Kelly was after Claremont, then it was Morrison.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.