Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJ Max Portable

1. DJ Max Portable

This is a PSP beatmania clone from Korean company, Pentavision. If you've played a beatmania game, you know *exactly* what to expect (apparently Konami sued them because it was so close). Just subtract the peripheral, and replace the J-pop with K-pop.

But you know what? beatmania clone or not, this game RULES. There is a level of sheen to the proceedings unmatched in the rest of my (admittedly small, so far) PSP collection. Tons of unlockables: images, movie clips, discs; 58 songs; several game modes, including M/V Clip, OST, 4-button, 6-button, and 8-button; and some moderately impressive, and diverse, movie clips that play next to the songs. Luckily, there's a mode where you can just watch the clips, since there's no way to really look at them while trying to keep track of the hundreds of cascading notes (or chicken eggs...) falling your way. Speaking of which, this game is HARD. I'm still just doing 4-button songs, and there's some doozies in there. 6-button stuff kills me pretty much immediately. And unlike beatmania, if you screw up too many times, the song abruptly stops (with a Gradius-like "You need more practice"). I liken it to a ice-cold slap in the face.

The game is almost all in English, so don't let a perceived language barrier stop you from importing if this sounds good to you. I can't really see it ever coming out in the US, certainly not without drastically altering the song-list. It's $48 from most of the online sites. The Prestige set will run you $80-90, but I recommend it since it comes in a big red box that's bursting with all manner of goodies: game, desk calendar, 2-disc soundtrack (with the full versions of all the songs), postcard set, and DJ MAX PSP strap thingy.

I think this last pic is from the internet MMO version of the game. Looks very similar to PSP version though.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a0015790_2102121.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	19421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	djmax_p01.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	19422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b343c429.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	19423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c24530_GOC4_p4.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	19424  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ensor200508042041010game1.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	19425  

2. It's a pretty awesome game, I must say. When a friend and I each imported white PSP's, we both said we'd import DJ Max but I chose something else. I should be picking up a copy shortly, the songs are really catchy.

Nice post, Compass.

3. First things first: Beatmania (IIDX speciffically) is the greatest video game ever created.

Having said that... Is it really any fun without the keyboard? I just can't see it working. Anybody have both and care to comment?

4. uh, Compass has both?

I don't know. 5key BM is pretty playable on the Dual Shock, so this has to be pretty playable on the PSP.

And unlike beatmania, if you screw up too many times, the song abruptly stops (with a Gradius-like "You need more practice"). I liken it to a ice-cold slap in the face.
    BM does this in Hard Mode / Expert Courses / Dan Courses.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs
    First things first: Beatmania (IIDX speciffically) is the greatest video game ever created.

Having said that... Is it really any fun without the keyboard? I just can't see it working. Anybody have both and care to comment?
    I have played it on the PSP and I thought it worked really well. Way more playable than I expected. I think IIDX is a great series too. Too bad Beatmania USA sucks so much ass.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tain
    BM does this in Hard Mode / Expert Courses / Dan Courses.
    Fair enough. But you're asking for it if you're on Hard Mode. In DJ Max, it happens EVERYWHERE.

As for cheebs's question about the game being any good without the peripheral, yes, it most certainly is. Obviously, it's not as fun as beatmania with the keys and turntable. But you're on a portable, you can't expect that. You're still "building" catchy songs with tons of notes that stream down, and this is always enjoyable.

Rocca: like your friend, and, like you intended but never followed through with, I got this at the same time I bought my white PSP, too.
    Last edited by Compass; 21 May 2006 at 02:23 PM.

7. I have just about every Beatmania game that came out on PSOne, and I can attest to these things being perfectly playable without a keyboard. In fact, I always like it better WITHOUT the keyboard.

It's no Frequency (cause clearly Frequency was not designed with a peripheral in mind) but it's still a lot of fun.

8. I have just about every Beatmania game that came out on PSOne, and I can attest to these things being perfectly playable without a keyboard. In fact, I always like it better WITHOUT the keyboard.
    I could see that being the case, actually. Just don't look into the PS2 games thinking it'll be the same way. 7key really is hell on a dual shock, and I don't think I've seen a game that loses so much without its peripheral.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tain
    I don't think I've seen a game that loses so much without its peripheral.
    Drummania. Sega Marine Fishing.

Anyway, any chance of a PS2 release of this one? I'd love to give it a spin.

10. Drummania. Sega Marine Fishing.
    But you can play both of those. At least, I think so, in the case of DM.

But, then again, Keyboardmania is probably the worst.