Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The TNL Online Emulation Thread

1. The TNL Online Emulation Thread

Let's play some arcade shit against each other.

This is a matchmaking thread for playing arcade games with each other over 2DF FreePlay, GGPO, or Kaillera. I suggest 2DF FreePlay because the netcode seems as solid as GGPO while supporting the most games. I was thinking primarily fighting games, puzzle games, or other 1v1 stuff. If you really want to tard out and co-op credit feed Metal Slug or whatever, though, go for it.

2DF FreePlay and GGPO are free online play services that have their own specific emulators and supported games. They seem to have better net performance than older online methods. They also track your stats and save replays of every match you have.

Kaillera is old, but apparently servers are still running. It's probably more laggy, but it supports way more games. This is where Windjammers goes down, sluts.

Post your name on 2DF/GGPO/Kaillera and what games you'd want to play, or just arrange shit on the fly in this thread.

http://www.2dfighter.com to get started with 2DF. You'll need .NET Framework 3.5 and IE. Or the ability to read the front page of the site. Whatever. You'll figure it out. Roms, too, obviously.

TNL Players:
    Tain
    Changeling - Conrooks on 2DF
    Chux
    Cowdisease
    Razor Ramon
    cigsthecat
    Mikhal

2DF FreePlay Supported Games:
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    The King of Fighters '98 - the slugfest
    The King of Fighters 2002 - challenge to ultimate battle
    The Last Blade 2
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Vampire Savior - the lord of vampire
    Vampire Savior 2 - the lord of vampire
    X-Men vs Street Fighter
    World Heroes Perfect
    Waku Waku 7
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Samurai Shodown V Special
    Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
    Night Warriors - darkstalkers' revenge
    Marvel vs Capcom - clash of super heroes
    Garou - mark of the wolves
    Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 - the newcomers
    Karnov's Revenge
    Samurai Shodown IV - Amakusa's revenge
    The King of Fighters 2000
    Street Fighter II' - hyper fighting
    X-Men - children of the atom
    Street Fighter II' - champion edition
    Ninja Master's haoh ninpo cho
    Fatal Fury Special
    Breakers Revenge
    Twinklestar Sprites
    Marvel Super Heroes
    Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    The King of Fighters 2003
    SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom
    Cyberbots - fullmetal madness
    Samurai Shodown II
    Real Bout Fatal Fury
    Samurai Shodown
    Art of Fighting
    Art of Fighting 2
    Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix
    Metal Slug
    Hyper Street Fighter 2: The Anniversary Edition
    DoDonPachi
    Final Fight
    Magical Drop III
    Alien vs Predator
    Art of Fighting 3 - the path of the warrior
    Fatal Fury 3 - road to the final victory
    The King of Fighters '97
    Neo Bomberman
    Shin gouketsuzi ichizoku - Toukon
    Super Street Fighter II - the new challengers
    Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
    Metal Slug 2
    Metal Slug 3
    Metal Slug 4
    Metal Slug 5
    Metal Slug X

If there are questions about setting shit up, post 'em. I can help out at the usual places if needed.
    Last edited by Tain; 11 Jul 2008 at 01:29 PM.

2. I go by Tain on 2DF, and I'm up for playing pretty much anything. Love Third Strike and wouldn't mind getting okay at KoF 98.

Used 2DF for the first time today with some Third Strike. When the connection is close enough (as in, in the same country), holy crap does it beat playing over Xbox Live.

Marvel (baybee) at my scrub ass Makoto doing dumb shit:
    whoa youtube does 60fps video now

If anybody has reason to suggest GGPO over 2DF, let me know. While it was cool that everyone was playing KoF 98, last time I played GGPO, I was surprised to find that I was literally the only person on the entire service in this half of the planet:

yeah that's me over there.
    Last edited by Tain; 03 Jul 2008 at 04:34 AM.

3. I'll download and install 2DF today. I'm down for some old-school gamin

4. I would love to play some KOF with you guys. Let me try to set this up over the weekend.

5. I'm interested for some Third Strike and Super Turbo matches. And maybe Twinkle Star Sprites.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    2DF FreePlay and GGPO are free online play services that have their own specific emulators and supported games. They seem to have better net performance than older online methods due to their game-specific nature. They also track your stats and save replays of every match you have.
    It has nothing to do with them being optimized for specific games. They're not (though they are designed to compensate for lag in a way that is particularly beneficial in fighting games). The reason Kaillera supports more games is because they released materials to allow any emulator author to incorporate it, while the others have tried to keep their shit proprietary. Kaillera is slower because it's very very old, long discontinued, and optimized for a different time.

If GGPO or 2DF weren't so fucking selfish and just open sourced the shit, every game in MAME would be playable with it. And probably a lot of non-arcade shit as well.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 03 Jul 2008 at 03:52 PM.

7. I just joined 2DF. I go under Conrooks and will play pretty much whatever. Anyone for some Sam Sho 5 special ?

8. I've been annoyed that they aren't open source myself, believe me.
    They're not (though they are designed to compensate for lag in a way that is particularly beneficial in fighting games).
    Actually, yeah, I do remember the GGPO site saying it should theoretically work with anything without tweaking. You can't argue that stuff like the stat tracking doesn't come from game-specific hooks, but that's not exactly what I said.

Edit: 2DF just added Windjammers. And I'd play some Samurai Shodown V Special. Poorly.
    Last edited by Tain; 04 Jul 2008 at 12:49 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    If there are questions about setting shit up, post 'em. I can help out at the usual places if needed.
    Do this, I forgot where I put most of my shit

10. Half of my roms don't work