Page 1105 of 1282 FirstFirst ... 109111011103110411051106110711091119 ... LastLast
Results 11,041 to 11,050 of 12812

Thread: Official PC Thread

So developing a mod is more work than building an IP, a full game in that IP, and an etail store and delivery mechanism?

edit: If the mod developers feel "exploited," they're completely free to instead build an indie game from the ground up and a website with e-commerce capabilities to sell it directly.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 26 Apr 2015 at 08:17 AM.

2. How many people bought Arma 2 for Arma 2? Seems like the IP people got their money when people bought the game in the first place.

3. It's not even just the IP & store. Mods utilize the content of the game itself and usually the toolset built by the developer. The cut makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    the toolset built by the developer
    I completely neglected to mention that part in all of my posts, but it's huge. We will likely see more games mod-enabled in the first place now.

5. Yeah. The game's developer might not make their own added content, when they can sit back and get royalties from the mods.

6. Like I previously stated, I've never fucked with mods, so I may be basing this on an incorrect premise. But it's been my belief that mods require the user to own the game the mod is based on yes?
    So the people that made the game already got paid for their work. Should they get a small cut of a mod's sale, absolutely. But it shouldn't be the same or anywhere near that of a normal publisher's cut since they put nothing up front to fund the fucking mod. Publishers get a huge cut because they are taking on huge risk. The guy putting the mod together does it all on his own time and on his own dime. He's the only one taking on risk.
    Again, I could be mistaken, but I don't believe "Gabe" is putting together an entirely new infrastructure to handle the digital delivery of these mods. Should Valve get a cut of the sales for maintaining the store and providing distribution? Absolutely. But I don't see how paying the person doing all the work, breathing new life into someone else's game that doesn't care to do the work themselves, deserve's so little piece of the pie. I also don't see how asking for even half of the pie constitutes asking for charity.

7. Some mods are more work than a lot of DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I don't believe "Gabe" is putting together an entirely new infrastructure to handle the digital delivery of these mods.
    It's not entirely new, but it is part of the Steam Workshop that was built specifically for user-created content.

You may be interested in reading thoughts straight from the horse's mouth.

Is it bad to want GPU models based on their color? In my case, it ain't cheap, because this would be my 970 choice, and this would be my 980. The latter hasn't had its price unveiled yet, but it has to be $600+.

My current case doesn't even have a window, but my next might!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    So developing a mod is more work than building an IP, a full game in that IP, and an etail store and delivery mechanism?

edit: If the mod developers feel "exploited," they're completely free to instead build an indie game from the ground up and a website with e-commerce capabilities to sell it directly.
    Especially now when tools like UE4 and Unity kind of make the old concept of a mod, or at least a "total conversion" kind of obsolete.