Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: The Punk Thread Ver 7.0: Old Favorites & Fresh Blood?

1. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    Drive Like Jehu - ♠♠♠♠
    Six Finger Satelite - ♠♠♠
    Rating anything above these is seriously fucked up, especially myspace bands like Blood Brothers. Those bands don't deserve to be on the same page.

Songs About Fucking FTW.
    Atomizer.
    Last edited by Punky Skunk; 07 Mar 2007 at 06:35 PM.

2. Punky has obviously never seen The Blood Brothers live.

Still one of the best live shows I've ever been to.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Punky Skunk View Post
    myspace bands like Blood Brothers.
    Umm... BB have been doing what they do for a long time now. It's not like they suddenly started when all these kids decided screaming was how they could bitch about their girlfriends not fucking them.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Personally I think Blood Brothers create some of the most well crafted contemporary music I've heard, let alone punk. And yes, they're fantastic live.

Though I can see how someone could rate Drive like Jehu and maybe Six Finger Satelite higher. They're both great bands

5. Love just about everything from these bands, listed some favs:

Bad Religion (Suffer)
    Pennywise (Unknown Road)
    Ramones (best of)
    Misfits (Walk Among Us)
    Clash (best of)
    The Damned

Even some Reverend Horton Heat falls squarely into punk.

6. I forgot about ATDI. They are cool and they're from El Paso. Here's the new stuff I listened to... The Fuses I like. The Sick Sick Birds I liked. The Refused I like. I listened to the Blood Brothers, they can kiss my scrotum.

I'll get around to listening to some of the rest this weekend.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Yeah I am not really sure how you could call The Blood Brothers a "myspace band". They've been around for a decade and don't deserve to be lumped in with the emo groups just because of the squealy, shreiky, screamy vocals. Also, because they're fucking sweet.

As far as an overview of the genre, if you want to work up from the '70s to today, heres a few good popular acts, each from a different era, that you could easily find similar bands to if you ran a search on them:

Stiff Little Fingers
    Fugazi
    At the Drive-In
    The Bronx

enjoy

To hear some of the best punk, you really need to look at 7-inch's and splits as well. Here are a few I recommend:

Filth: Live the Chaos (this also all on Filth/Blats: The Shit Split album). ****
    Civil Disobedience: In a Few Hours of Madness *****
    Wardance Orange (best Richmond band ever) *****
    Wardance Orange/Ex-Members of... ****
    Boris the Sprinkler/Moral Crux ****
    Choke their Rivers with Our Dead/Turn Around Norman ****
    Death Wish Kids: There's nothing in scholl they can't teach you on the streets ***
    Crimpshrine: Duct Tape Soup *****
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

9. The Bronx. I can't believe I forgot them.
    Boo, Hiss.

10. I have heard very little of the Bronx but I like one of their songs. Worth checking out?