Page 1 of 13 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Punk Thread Ver 7.0: Old Favorites & Fresh Blood?

1. The Punk Thread Ver 7.0: Old Favorites & Fresh Blood?

I have great taste in Punk Music. Let me explain...

In order I like:
    The Clash ♠♠♠♠♠
    blink-182/+44* ♠♠♠♠/♠♠♠
    Rancid* ♠♠♠♠
    Bloodhound Gang* ♠♠♠1/2
    Green Day ♠♠♠♠
    The Offspring ♠♠♠

...also there was a band called the Hippos ♠♠1/2 I saw once, bought their album and liked it.

Someone now tell me what I should be listening to. Is there still a punk scene? Anybody really good come out of it in the last 2-3 years? Also someone please define Punk. I’d call it simple 3 piece rock n’ roll, the angry anti-social teenage child of 50’s rock.

I was really into it 10-7 years ago. I still bought the new albums of the bands above (although other than the title, I wasn't very fond of Take Off Your Pants and Jack It, and my like of The Offspring has faded some since The Faculty. My beef with them is they keep doing the same exact shit. Same can be said for AC/DC ♠♠♠♠♠, but they do their shit way better). Korian’s +44 thread inspired me to buy WYHSB, I wouldn’t call it punk by any stretch, but it got me interested in pulling out my old albums and listening to them again. I have a dozen or more of those $5 Punk-o-rama, Warped Tour, etc. CDs from the late 90’s, and I was wondering what was out that was new…

♠♠♠♠♠ . Masters of their craft
    ♠♠♠♠ ... a great band with near unlimited replay value
    ♠♠♠ ..... A good band worth listening to
    ♠♠ ...... An occasional fleeting glimpse of greatness
    ♠ ........ Bad
    - ......... Pure Bird Shit.

The Punk/Ska Thread Ver 2.0 5/02

*for the record I got into these band on their first album (well, BHG's second, OFBC, also they probably don't qualify as punk, but I like them, i also like gumbo, i red tailed hawks, and beavers, and commas,, just one more, ok I'm done now, ok now… fuck it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,) .
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Crass - ♠♠♠♠
    Fugazi - ♠♠♠♠♠
    The Black Lips - ♠♠♠ They're a fairly new band. Go see them live if you get the chance, they're fucking nuts.
    Ramones - ♠♠♠♠♠
    Old Misfits - ♠♠♠♠
    Early Suicidal Tendencies - ♠♠♠

3. I'll see if The Black Lips'll be in Dallas anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    So, I've finally gotten most all of my old CDs, tapes and 7inches together and I'm going to start ripping them to my PC... The music is Crofton and Baltimore punk rock 1993-1998. Which, believe it or not, for the time period, was one of the best music scenes in the country.
    source You still got these comps? I'm assuming it's old tyme emo scene
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. I don't know how to make spades, so I'm using ****

pg.99 - ****
    Pig Destroyer - *****
    Premonitions of War - ****
    Converge - *****
    Breach - **** (Swedish band)
    eyehategod - *****
    Amen - ***
    Misfits - range from 0 - ***** depending on the song.
    Starkweather - ****
    Comets on Fire - ****
    Planes Mistaken For Stars - ****

You could make a case for a lot of this being metal/hardcore, but it's what I think of as 'punk'.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. My definition of punk doesn't quite follow your 3 peice angry music guideline, but here's a few.

NOFX ****
    7 Seconds (early stuff) ****
    Dead Kennedys *****
    Descendents ****
    Propagandhi ***
    Bad Religion ****
    From First to Last **
    Mellencolin **
    Motion Picture Soundtrack **

The Fuses - I don't know if they're "punk" rock or not, and their newest material is very post/mod but they are one of the best bands in the world and they're from Baltimore. Go to the link and listen to "That One Kills Me" and "Jazz Makes Me Nervous".

Also: The Descendents, Ramones, One Man Army, Screeching Weasel. I used to love The Queers, but I wouldn't say they've aged well. First album is still great though.

7. I'm lazy at the moment... but I'm just popping in because no one has brought up either Against Me or Blood Brothers... two of the best current punk bands around.
    Last edited by bbobb; 06 Mar 2007 at 11:54 PM.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. ♠♠♠♠♠

please don't listen to avril.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.