Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Note

1. Quote Originally Posted by Genki View Post
    I read the wikipedia article on this and it seemed pretty cool i've been wanting to get into but should i start with the anime or manga?
    Manga without a doubt, the art is leaps and bounds better in my opinion. Of course the anime looks fine too thanks to high production values, but a lot of the Obata charm is gone.

I'm currently watching the anime (ep 12 or 13). I haven't picked up the manga yet, but I'm sure I will eventually(need monies).
    Scans imo, just buy them later.

2. I took a peak at a few of the scans... some of the translation work leaves a bit to be desired.

But yeah it's cheap so that works.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I took a peak at a few of the scans... some of the translation work leaves a bit to be desired.

But yeah it's cheap so that works.
    Jesus I'm glad Light was the real translation and not Raito, but again free is free.

4. Honestly, the translators should have been able to figure out that's what the name was supposed to be IMO. It's a play on the fact that the kanji for his name is Moon which implies evening and night, but it's read as Light.

The people who translated the scans from what I can tell were doing mostly literal translations, word for word. At least from what the volume (i think it was 5 or 6... can't remember) I checked out. I think the one that really popped out at me and made me go WTF, was when Light And L are handcuffed together and start fighting, and L says (in Japanese) "ikkai wa ikkai" when he returns Light's punch. Whoever did the translation translated it exactly as "One time is one time" which really doesn't make sense in english. It should have been translated as "One for one" which is a common saying in english that means exactly that in Japanese.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. I finally found volume 10 at borders. I shall now have a reading spree.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Honestly, the translators should have been able to figure out that's what the name was supposed to be IMO. It's a play on the fact that the kanji for his name is Moon which implies evening and night, but it's read as Light.

The people who translated the scans from what I can tell were doing mostly literal translations, word for word. At least from what the volume (i think it was 5 or 6... can't remember) I checked out. I think the one that really popped out at me and made me go WTF, was when Light And L are handcuffed together and start fighting, and L says (in Japanese) "ikkai wa ikkai" when he returns Light's punch. Whoever did the translation translated it exactly as "One time is one time" which really doesn't make sense in english. It should have been translated as "One for one" which is a common saying in english that means exactly that in Japanese.
    Stupid shit like that happens all the time. Scanslators trying to be unlike those evil publishers editing works they just don't understand! They are doing this is a service to the fans so don't you dare poke fun! I hate that attitude and see it among stupid otaku a lot.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Sega saturn x View Post
    Stupid shit like that happens all the time. Scanslators trying to be unlike those evil publishers editing works they just don't understand! They are doing this is a service to the fans so don't you dare poke fun! I hate that attitude and see it among stupid otaku a lot.
    It's a horrible attitude to have, and a reason that most of those scanslators will never get a job doing real translation work, which I'm sure a lot of them really want to do. You cannot literally translate between Japanese and English and vice versa. The two languages are too far apart and different.

8. Well Kazoku-fansubs does a good job with the one piece sub but outside of the main 3 the other subbers are pretty bad with the word for word crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

9. Picked up the Death Note Complete Set of the two Live Action Movies on DVD and just got around to watching it.

I really like what they did with the Live Action movies. They cut the series down without really affecting the story at all. I highly recommend you all check it out. The ending to the movies is perfect too. It's what the ending of the Manga should have been. This is definitely the penultimate version IMO.

Oh and it has Chairman Kaga from Iron Chef as Light's Dad... if that's not enough reason to see it, I don't know what is.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Sega saturn x View Post
    I figured it was time this got a thread
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...ght=death+note

It started off strong but eventually turned stupid and then silly. Ah well, better luck next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coruman
    I really like what they did with the Live Action movies.
    I remember seeing a trailer for the first one a while ago and thought it looked like shit. Are they actual decent movies or just good adaptations?