Page 1 of 29 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Princess and the Frog

1. The Princess and the Frog

From AICN:
    Lasseter updates the world on TOY STORY 3, SONG OF THE SOUTH on DVD (?) and THE FROG PRINCESS!!
    Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. John Lasseter recently met with shareholders and cemented some interesting tidbits on Disney's upcoming slate. TOY STORY 3... nothing really new here, but he confirmed a 2010 release, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE's Michael Arndt is scripting and both Tom Hanks and Tim Allen are confirmed to return.

THE FROG PRINCESS is where most of the news hit. It'll be a traditionally hand-drawn Disney flick set in New Orleans, with the "very first African-American Disney Princess," a soul-singing alligator and Randy Newman doing the music.

Another interesting tidbit is that Robert Iger, who was strongly against releasing SONG OF THE SOUTH on DVD this time last year (for fear of a negative reaction) says he's now been persuaded to consider it again... Good. The movie's fantastic and anybody who has really seen it knows the message is strongly in favor of living in peace with people of any skin color. The hero of the movie is Uncle Remus and the closest things to villains in the flick are the ignorant parents!

Plus, it's a little bullshit that Disney will still sell CDs with SONG OF THE SOUTH music on it, make money off of it that way, but no... they're profiteering if they release the actual movie?

Of course Iger reconsidering a release doesn't mean jack or shit, but there's a little hope now.
    I know Randy Newman will be a dealbreaker for some, but I can live with it.
    Last edited by Space Pirate Roberts; 18 Jan 2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: fixed title

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. It's great to see them go back to try some traditional animation again.

3. Cool news. Its great to hear that Disney is going back to some more traditional animation....especially since "Cars" was such a snooze fest.

Song of the South needs to be released on DVD too. I don't get what the big deal is with releasing this movie. Sure, the film may be seen as "racist" in some circles. However, its not like Disney can hide this film from the public forever. NEWS FLASH, everybody knows that the "Song of the South" exists already, so its not like its going to be a big shocker to the world once its released on DVD. Hell, even that beloved Peter Pan movie has some racial issues that today's audience may not find acceptable but that movies been released on DVD twice already.

4. Quote Originally Posted by LordPerrin View Post
    From AICN:I know Randy Newman will be a dealbreaker for some, but I can live with it.
    Randy Newman can be pretty awesome when he wants to be.

5. Shouldn't it be The Frog Prince?

6. The best part about Disney's greatest handrawn animated features was that they were often musicals. Background music by established musicians were a part of their decline in popularity (I'm looking at you, Phil Collins.)

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Shouldn't it be The Frog Prince?
    The Disney Princess line is a huge market for them, it's almost as big as Barbie is for Mattel, this is just part of their marketing line.

8. So the princess is the frog?

9. Yes, it's a twist on the classic fairy tale. Something that is done very often, wrap yo head around it foo.

10. And on top of that...

SHE'S BLACK

ZOMG!!!!!!!!
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.