Thread: HDMI- "fuzzy" picture

1. HDMI- "fuzzy" picture

My PS3 is hooked up via a $50 HDMI cable and I've noticed that the picture- particularly with black screens- is fuzzy. When the picture moves from a bright image to black, the outline is still present as if the "fuzzyness" was pushed aside.

This is not plasma burn or whatnot, because the issue does not happen when I use component.

Does this sound like an issue with my cable? I see that there are some pretty damn expensive HDMI cables out there, and would be willing to buy a top-end one if this would solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. HDMI is all digital, so the quality of the cable really has less of an bearing than you would think. Its like those $10 spdif optical cables that work just as well as those $300 ones. A REALLY shitty cable could cause problems, but since its digital, they would be pixeation, freezing, picture scrambling and such, not so much "noise" or weak picture types of problems you would get with analog.

I have read of numerous incompability problems between HDMI devices however, as like everything, every company seems to have its own interripation of a "standard".

For example, my Olevia LCD TV will not work with my DirecTv H20 reciever properly in HDMI mode, but it works fine with specific revisions of them.

I know the PS3 had a lot of issues at first, but some were fixed with the update Sony released.

Your TV could just have a shitty HDMI implmentation as well, It happens. check to see it IT can be firmware upgraded.

3. It shouldn't matter since HDMI cable is digital, unlike component. It could be your TV doing some funky processing with the signal (like converting digital back to analog then to digital again).

EDIT: Post your TV's brand/model #, maybe this is a known issue.

4. could need calibration for the input

5. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash View Post
    My PS3 is hooked up via a $50 HDMI cable and I've noticed that the picture- particularly with black screens- is fuzzy. When the picture moves from a bright image to black, the outline is still present as if the "fuzzyness" was pushed aside.

This is not plasma burn or whatnot, because the issue does not happen when I use component.

Does this sound like an issue with my cable? I see that there are some pretty damn expensive HDMI cables out there, and would be willing to buy a top-end one if this would solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.
    i know exactly what your talking about, when i switched to HDMI on my PS3 it was leaving imprints on black screens, like GTHD when i qould quit out of the race i would still see the race times on the top corner.

You need to calibrate your TVs picture settings. I know i had to slightly reduce contrast (it was at 100) and it looked perfect afterwards. Also if your TV has a game mode (my samsung does) it helps and you dont have to reduce the contrast (or you wont have ot reduce it as much)

6. RDM Brian: I believe we have the same TV. Do you have the problem that you always have to readjust the picture settings based on what you are running into it? For example to play SD DVD, i have to set to X, HD DVD i re-adjust to Y. Xbox360 games, change to settings to Z. It's really freaking annoying.