Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Obscure Taste in Anime

1. My Obscure Taste in Anime

I'm not afraid to admit it but i enjoyed the 1986 OVA called Roots Search.

For years i've avoided it as i've heard fans labeled it as the worst domestic release ever seen in the US. For starters this isn't even close to being a terrible title let alone the worst domestic release of all time. I've seen far worse like the crudely animated Ultimate Teacher, the incoherent mess of a story Crystal Triangle or the ultra violent excuse that is MD Geist.

I think Roots Search is a decent suspence science fiction anime. The character designs were nice, mainly for two central characters plus it was good to see some brief romance thrown in to it.

Does anyone else like Roots Search or if not at least explain to me what you find so bad about it?

It's available on VHS (which i own) or by torrent (click here) for anyone who wants to give a try.

Speaking of other anime people usually bash, is anyone anyone fond of Dirty Pair: Affair of Nolandia?

I rewatched this recently and found the story to be extremely engaging. I really enjoyed the more serious edge to the story and characters designs. I also loved it's unconventional pacing which made it unpredictable and gave it an almost artsy feel to it (it almost had an Oshii or Twlight Zone feel to it). Overall i enjoyed Affair of Nolandia as much or perhaps more than i do with Project Eden.

At least i can't be the only one with an appreciation for Nolandia as this review 1 (click here) proves and this review 2 (click here) too.

Also another movie i've watched recently is Lupin: Gold of Babylon which i absolutly loved. Again ironically many regard this as the weakest of the Lupin movies yet i regard it as one of the strongest. Overall the style felt as if they'd sampled the hyper feel of Project A-ko, added in the pop culture style of Megazone 23 and finished the cocktail by mixing it with a touch of Looney Tunes humour. The character designs and soundtrack are by far my favourite of out all of the Lupin movies, it really felt like 1985. I can't wait to own this on dvd so i can share the pure insanity of Lupin with fellow peers.

Finishing my theme of ambigous taste towards the most obscure and unique of anime, would it be sacrilege to say i don't like Akira? lol, even my taste for anime from the 80's isn't mainstream since i always end up loving most titles people hate and vice versa. I even find titles like Gunbuster and Bubblegum Crisis once the pinnacle of my love for anime, seem as generic as it gets and no longer meet my high set benchmark for my dvd collection anymore (time can be so cruel). The only pattern i can see emerging is my love for very artsy anime like Robot Carnival, Angel's Egg and Twilight Q, at least these have more appreciation from fan groups... i hope. Oh and 1984-1987 seem to be my absolute peak in adoring animation. Thats all i have to do say so now my journey to understand must continue, so much more i must learn.

Does anyone else understand my bloggish post?

2. I can see someone not liking Akira.

3. I can't watch anime from the 80's. I hate the art style.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I was with you until you said you didn't like Akira.
    Akira is great, but really overrated.

It's the Final Fantasy VII of anime.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    I can see someone not liking Akira.
    As he burns. In a ditch. With his family.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I was with you until you said you didn't like Akira.
    So does that mean you like Dirty Pair Affair of Nolandia and Lupin: Gold of Babylon?

Haha, i'm sorry if i offended any Akira fans. While i enjoyed it the first time i saw, i just don't regard it as highly as i once did.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    As he burns. In a ditch. With his family.
    Please don't hurt me,lol.

If it's any consolation i do like the Streamline dub for comical purposes?

7. Quote Originally Posted by mcarocks2003 View Post
    So does that mean you like Dirty Pair Affair of Nolandia and Lupin: Gold of Babylon?

Haha, i'm sorry if i offended any Akira fans. While i enjoyed it the first time i saw, i just don't regard it as highly as i once did.

Please don't hurt me,lol.

If it's any consolation i do like the Streamline dub for comical purposes?
    Everyone loves that dub, it won't ever come back D=

No worries. I love Lupin to death, and FotNS is a classic, but I can't name anything else 80's or Pre-80's I really really enjoy.

Akira the movie is crap.

9. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    Akira the movie is crap.