Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Obscure Taste in Anime

yes, the movie should be burnt like a witch

2. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    I can see someone not liking Akira.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    As he burns. In a ditch. With his family.

I enjoy hunting down really obscure anime at old mom and pop video stores. I think I started doing that orginally with movies like Unico and Serendipity. I used to rent those two a lot when I went to my grandmothers.

Just today I found a copy of Paul Gallico's Manxmouse.

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,9...manxmouse.html

4. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    I enjoy hunting down really obscure anime at old mom and pop video stores. I think I started doing that orginally with movies like Unico and Serendipity.
    ^_^ <3 <3 <3 uniiicoooo

i hated Akira until my cousin bought it for me. After watching it a few times, i can at least appreciate it for the animation.

I brought in the second Unico movie for my class last week (*ahem* visual storytelling segment) and half the class loved it, the other have said, "i'd watch it if nothing else was on" ): That stuff is classic. Then another guy said 80's Astroboy is too old.
    Donk

5. I prefer the art and character design of 80's anime to any other period. That doesn't mean there isn't great stuff now or any other time besides the 80's, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the style from that decade.

I remember reading some review at animeondvd (I think it was Project Eden or possibly Kimagure Orange Road) and how they talked about the liveliness of the cell animation in the 80's and how much of the best releases took the time to give the characters internal motivations and traits that made them more endearing than a lot of current big name anime, and I have to say I feel that way too, even though some of that is no doubt nostalgia.

But really, watch the first disc of Kimagure Orange Road and tell me that doesn't rate up there as one of the all time greatest first installments to a series ever. You can parse words about how so many of those shows had that "look" about them, but today's anime are just as bad at having very similar styles as each other, one that I find kind of cheap really in how streamlined it's all become.

I know I'm biased though. But I used to not like that 80's look either, then for some reason I started to embrace it. Now I prefer it and if in some fantasy world I was able to make an anime today, it'd look like 1985 to '87. I realize none of this had much to do with the specific titles in the original post, I just get a little defensive when someone dismisses the art style of 80's anime to a point where they refuse to watch some of the great releases from then. You'll find more character and heart in Maison Ikkoku and Touch than 95% of just about any anime ever.

6. I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch Akira.

I appreciate your taste, Mca, but I don't buy anime very often so I haven't watched many of your suggestions. But yes, I love 80s anime. Kimagure Orange Road is the greatest anime I've ever seen. Of course, I still enjoy watching new stuff, unlike some people who refuse to watch anything 80s. (Come on Genki, Fist of the North Star is fun!)

As I've watched more anime I've come to really dislike the general releases from any time. And yes, ever since anime started going digital I came to associate Scourge's "look" with mediocrity. Nowadays I usually totally avoid TV series because I find the animation horrid (though sometimes I get a nice surprise and someone makes me watch something like Paradise Kiss). So maybe I do enjoy older TV series more because of nostalgia and cheese. In any case I'm not going to absolutely love something just because it's older, but I'll admit that a lot of my favorites do happen to be older.

7. Quote Originally Posted by mcarocks2003 View Post
    I even find titles like [...] Bubblegum Crisis once the pinnacle of my love for anime, seem as generic as it gets and no longer meet my high set benchmark for my dvd collection anymore (time can be so cruel).
    BGC should be the pinnacle of everyone's love for anime forever and ever x1000. it's a timeless classic that never gets old and only gets better as it ages. anyone that speaks against it, even in the slightest, should burn in hell, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    i hated Akira until my cousin bought it for me. After watching it a few times, i can at least appreciate it for the animation.
    i'm not as big a fan of Akira as i used to be, but i'll never stop loving its animation. it's still awesome even in today's world of digital doohickery.

8. Hey MCA, is that Lupin movie one of the ones Funimation released here? 'Cuz I bought the recent box sets of them and have a bunch I still need to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    Akira is great, but really overrated.

It's the Final Fantasy VII of anime.
    Nah, the Akira anime may not be as rawsome as everyone thinks, but the manga totally deserves an even higher opinion than the inflated one those people have of the anime so it sorta balances. FFVII doesn't have a 'good version' to fall back on.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 19 Mar 2007 at 09:05 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Nah, the Akira anime may not be as rawsome as everyone thinks, but the manga totally deserves an even higher opinion than the inflated one those people have of the anime so it sorta balances. FFVII doesn't have a 'good version' to fall back on.
    Pretty much agreed, though I do really like FF7 still. Just not Advent Children. Or the fans. The Akira anime is pretty great, but it would have been even better if they finished it. The manga is a must-read, though. The volumes might be kind of expensive, but it was entirely worth it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Hey MCA, is that Lupin movie one of the ones Funimation released here? 'Cuz I bought the recent box sets of them and have a bunch I still need to watch.
    Sadly not, however a company called Discotek will be releasing Gold of Babylon and Fuma Conspiracy some time this year with remastered video quality and tons of extras.

The best of Lupin is still to come...