Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gake no ue no Ponyo (Ponyo On A Cliff)

1. Earthsea was delayed because the Sci-Fi mini-series. I think it's suppose to release sometime mid-2009 on DVD now in the US. Still no word if Omohide Poro Poro (Only Yesterday) will get a US DVD release. I already imported the UK release because I didn't feel like waiting on Disney to decide what they want to do.

2. So Ponyo came out this week and it's kind of great. I held off on downloading it subtitled more due to the craptastic video quality than any desire to see the Disney version fresh, but it was still wonderful. The usual Miyazaki complaint about the ending being less an end than a stop still holds, but there was so much charm in ever frame that I forgive it. Plus it felt not just hand-animated but aggressively so, which was nice.

James

3. I do aggressive hand animation almost every night.

4. I'm glad I somehow managed to avoid seeing any more than a poster since that first Japanese trailer... I went in knowing only that it was about a small mermaid-like creature, and everything beyond that was a (delightful) surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

5. Fell asleep half way through but from what I saw it was pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

6. took the family out to see this. kids loved it as they do most miyazaki stuffs. i liked seeing the plethora of sea creatures and the little ponyos. story was kinda cliche'd, pretty much a reverse pinocchio. liam neeson also didnt do it for me. wished that they went more in depth for his character in the mixing of elixirs and such. overall a really pretty film, and a good family outing

7. This shit was EPIC...with a real shitty story tagging along for the ride. But the characters were great. The good thing about the story is that it made sense and was easy to follow. If it just had any "oomph" to the climax it would have been passable.

Although the ending to the story was lacking, the last 5 seconds was the greatest thing ever.

Anyway, none of that matters since everything was so damn lovable and the animation was so impossibly good. The stuff they did shouldn't have been possible without CGI, but as far as I could tell the whole thing was hand drawn. I'm talking entire moving scenes without static backgrounds. Shit is just moving EVERYWHERE with perfect choreography. One scene with the mom driving will stick with you forever.

Epic.
    Last edited by Cheebs; 25 Aug 2009 at 08:55 AM.

8. I ended up seeing it again with my family and liked it more the second time. Knowing that the story was a cute and lightweight excuse for endless gorgeously-animated scenes helped me enjoy it more. It's kind of like Totoro in that way.

James