Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gake no ue no Ponyo (Ponyo On A Cliff)

why does she look like a chicken sometimes
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. it's when she's using too much magic to completely retain human form.

3. That woman is such a scary driver.

4. My girlfriend sat me down and we watched this last night. It was amazing- easily the most beautiful and complex hand-drawn animation ever created. The story was pretty good too and the characters were endearing. As far as I'm concerned, Disney can fucking bite it- Miyazaki has rendered them completely irrelevant.

One thing, however: the mother leaves her 5 year-old kid alone in the middle of a fucking tsunami to go check on a bunch of geezers who will all probably drop dead of old age soon anyway? wtf, lady.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 07 Jun 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. In Japan, kids are regarded as nothing but physically smaller adults beginning at age 2. Or at least that's what all anime ever makes it look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

6. Watched it in French and Japanese. The film was so surreal, it felt like I was dreaming. There were some points that dragged on during the couple's travel by boat, but overall it was good stuff.

7. The ending truly feels like the weakest part.

8. Miyazaki has never been all that good at endings. He can stop, but that's about it. I figure he had to have had some help in Spirited Away, because that's the first story of his that I've felt ended due to the story rather than running time.

As for Ponyo, the sub is much better than the dub. The differences are pretty small, just a few bits here and there, but they're things that have the story make a lot more sense.

James

9. My kids got this for me for my birfday. I can't wait to watch it with them!

10. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Miyazaki has never been all that good at endings. He can stop, but that's about it. I figure he had to have had some help in Spirited Away, because that's the first story of his that I've felt ended due to the story rather than running time.
    Porco Rosso ended pretty awesome. Not some overwrought "war is bad/stop polluting" allegory like most, just a good ol' bit of gentlemanly fisticuffs to win a lady.