Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gake no ue no Ponyo (Ponyo On A Cliff)

1. Gake no ue no Ponyo (Ponyo On A Cliff)

From AICN:
    The excellent Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli resource Nausicaa.net has reported that the master animator's next film will be "Gake no ue no Ponyo" (Ponyo On A Cliff). The project, scheduled to appear in Japanese theaters in summer 2008 tracks the story of the Princess goldfish Ponyo who wants to become human and 5 years old boy named Sosuke. Key words of the film are "father", "mother", and "a cliff".

Old images of Hayao Miyazaki's son, Tales of Earthsea director Goro Miyazaki, were used as the model for the Sosuke character.

Watercolor and pastel-like freehand drawing will be used to capture the look of the sea and waves, which according to Studio Ghibli President Toshio Suzuki composes "70 or 80%" of the film's stage.

Persistent rumors had suggested that the Miyazaki's next film would be an adaptation of the Chinese story I Lost My Little Boy.

See here for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. Trailer with extra-large side of desu.

3. God I fucking hate japanese TV. The incessant commentary on fucking EVERYTHING is obnoxious.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. Why the fuck is that, anyway? Between little boxes of people's irrelevant reactions and LARGE OBNOXIOUS MOONSPEAK EVERYWAHR, how can anyone even WATCH TV in your (lol) country?

5. I think part of it has to do with the same people appearing on dozens of shows every week. It would be too hard to come up with new material for all of the shows so instead they just give them stuff to look at. Some people's entire careers seem to consist of looking surprised in tiny boxes and saying how delicious the food they're eating is.

This film looks like it'll be pretty mellow, so I'm glad. I don't really care for Miyazaki's more adventurous stuff.

6. Good news for the US release:
    Update for 1/6/09

Variety reports that John Pixar's Lasseter is working with Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy to make Hayao Miyazaki/Ghibli's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea "the studio's biggest hit ever Stateside." According to the piece, Ghibli has been frustrated that their films have only found a niche audience about anime fans and arthouse goers.

From the Variety piece:

The goal is to boost both the number of screens and the box office take beyond Ghibli's record for a U.S. release set by "Spirited Away," the Miyazaki toon that earned a little more than $10 million on 714 screens in 2002 and 2003.

From 1/5/09
    Anime News Network notes that Nikkei is reporting the Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea is slated to appear on North American theaters in summer 2009.

Disney's John Lasseter (Toy Story, Cars), will produce the North American release as he had for Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle and the Oscar-winning Spirited Away.

In November, GhibliWorld reported that Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy will produce the English localization of Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, with a cast that includes Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cate Blanchett, Liam Neeson, Lily Tomlin, Betty White, Fankie Jonas, Noah Cyrys and Cloris Leachman.

IMDB currently lists Madison Davenport in the role of Kumiko, while Nausicaa.net speculates that the cast break-down will be

* Matt Damon: Koichi
    * Tina Fey: Risa
    * Cate Blanchett: Granmamare
    * Liam Neeson: Fujimoto

7. What about Tales from Earthsea, is that ever coming out here?

Looking forward to this BTW.

8. You don't want Earthsea.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. cake no you no you no