Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11 Wrestlers and Holyfield linked to Steroid investigation.

1. 11 Wrestlers and Holyfield linked to Steroid investigation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2805155

Eleven professional wrestlers, including the WWE's Randy Orton, have joined the list of athletes linked to a nationwide steroids investigation.

Notable names linked to scandal
    MLB
    • Gary Matthews Jr.
    • Jose Canseco
    • John Rocker
    • Jerry Hairston Jr.
    • David Bell

Boxing
    • Evander Holyfield

NFL
    • Richard Rydze (Steelers doctor)

Bodybuilding
    • Victor Martinez

Pro wrestling
    • Kurt Angle
    • Randy Orton
    • Adam Copeland (Edge)
    • Shane Helms (The Hurricane)
    • Oscar Gutierrez (Rey Mysterio)
    • Eddie Guerrero*

*Died in 2005

SI.com reported Monday that Orton allegedly received eight prescriptions for six different drugs -- including stanozolol, nandrolone and testosterone -- between March 2004 and August 2004. According to the documents SI.com reviewed, two doctors whose names also appear in Gary Matthews Jr.'s file wrote prescriptions for Orton.

Orton, through the WWE, declined comment, SI.com said.

In its review of documents, SI.com reported it found Adam Copeland, a.k.a. "Edge," and Shane Helms, a.k.a. "The Hurricane," received HGH from Applied Pharmacy in Mobile, Ala., one of the pharmacies raided in the investigation led by Albany, N.Y., District Attorney David Soares.

Through the WWE, Copeland and Helms didn't respond to a request for comment, SI.com said.

WWE spokesman Gary Davis told SI.com that WWE policy prohibits performance-enhancing drugs but would not say whether any wrestlers have tested positive since the policy was enacted.

Also linked to the scandal, in various reports, are baseball's Jose Canseco, John Rocker, Jerry Hairston Jr. and David Bell, former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, Pittsburgh Steelers doctor Richard Rydze, 1996 Olympic wrestling gold medalist Kurt Angle and bodybuilder Victor Martinez.

Monday, SI.com also reported Arizona doctor David Wilbirt's name has come up in multiple files, including those of Angle, Oscar Gutierrez (stage name Rey Mysterio) and former WWE star Eddie Guerrero, who died in 2005.

Through the WWE, Gutierrez declined comment to SI.com about the report that Wilbirt had prescribed him nandrolone and stanozolol.

Wilbirt told SI.com he's not practicing medicine now.

"I'll tell you one thing and then this conversation is going to end," Wilbirt told SI.com when asked about the professional wrestlers. "They had done blood work and had laboratory work done and they had come to see me."
    I guess Evander is the "real deal' afterall.
    Last edited by gamevet; 20 Mar 2007 at 12:47 PM.

2. Holyfield was on one of the religious networks this weekend. HMM.

Anyrate, witchhunt, IMO.

(I thought the entire point of wrestling was people mutilating their bodies for the entertainment of the audience?)
    Last edited by YellerDog; 20 Mar 2007 at 12:49 PM.

3. Bodybuilding
    • Victor Martinez
    Oh, no! Victor just won the biggest victory of his life this month, the 2007 Arnold Classic. I wonder if this will fuck that up...

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. Holyfield used the name "Evan Fields". LOL @ "Evan Fields" and Angle being busted for HORSE STEROIDS, which he claims to have gotten a legal prescription for. According a pro wrestler-hosted podcast I'm listening to, that's about as likely as getting a prescription for crack cocaine. WWE's official stance on this is that since it happened before their wellness policy, the wrestlers won't be punished.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

In the WWE being implicated in a Steriod Scandal won't bury
    your career but a little pot will.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Korian View Post
    In the WWE being implicated in a Steriod Scandal won't bury
    your career but a little pot will.
    Excellent point.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. Steroids are allowed in the wellness policy under the right circumstances, pot isn't. This all happened before that policy took effect, so these guys are safe.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 20 Mar 2007 at 01:57 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. And of course they don't take ANY steriods at all now. WWE's testing policy must be second to none!

9. Better than Baseball's.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

10. Jose Canseco? He has stated numerous times that he has taken steroids, they must want him for investigation so he can drop some names. Either way, this is a monumental waste of time. Nothing ever happens from these investigations.