Thread: RIP Drew Hayes

1. RIP Drew Hayes

Well hell, I'd wondered what happened to him. He disappeared from comics a few years back after some health issues, including being dead on the operating table. Well, this time he didn't manage a do-over.

Damn, I really liked Hayes and Poison Elves.

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/b...ip-drew-hayes/

James

2. I used to read I,Lusipher and then Poison Elves when he moved to Sirius. I dropped out of comics around issue 25.
    When I got back into them a year ago I was surprised that both the comic and company were still around. Never knew why Drew wasn't doing the comic anymore but i know now don't I.

Damn, I'm a huge fan of his stuff. Poison Elves is probably my favorite comic of all time. The shit was hilarious, heartfelt, and punk as fuck.

For those of you unfamiliar with his work, Poison Elves is neither the best written or illustrated book out there, but in terms of storytelling it comes together in a way that makes it so much more than the sum of its parts. It was also very unconventional: for example, it's not uncommon to be reading it and hit a page that was just straight text. Drew had a very rare ability to really transcribe the shit he (and many of us) go through in a way that was both larger than life, yet identifiable and funny at the same time. I always felt like Lusiphur (and Drew himself) were buddies that I'd be right at home drinking and getting rowdy with. I've never read anything else that I could relate to so much.

I had suspected the worst a while back, when the book seemed to be fast forwarding towards its conclusion, and it's really unfortunate that we'll probably never know just how it ends. Drew Hayes was a huge inspiration in my life. RIP.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

So I stopped by my local comic shop today and behold! On the shelf there was Poison Elves #80. It's basically just a bunch of Drew's unfinished sketches, scenes, dialogue, etc but still very cool nonetheless and gives some more insight into where the story was headed. There were also covers he did for at least the next 3 issues. Definitely pick it up if you're a fan.

There's also some hints that there might yet be more stuff to come. Nonetheless, it was really uplifting and heartbreaking to pick up a new issue of Poison Elves by Drew Hayes, probably for the last time.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...