Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

I've never made this so-called "backyard" tea that you speak of. Here is how I make iced tea, in the rare instance that I do.

In a 1.5 qt saucepan, throw in five tea bags and fill it to about 3/4 inch below the rim. Turn the burner on high, and go about your business. Momentarily forget about it, until you hear the hissing of the water hitting the burner's heating coils. Cover, and let it steep for quite a while, about 45 minutes or so. Pour it into a pitcher, add more water to dilute it a bit if it's too strong, add sugar (two of the big spoon, but not really bit spoonfulls... maybe a quarter cup?). Let it rest on the counter for a while so that it won't mess up the temperature of the fridge.

Strangely, the main reason I haven't made tea is I can't find a glass saucepan in stores, and it just doesn't seem right making a beverage on the stove in a metal container. This is an aside, but from what I hear, Pyrex abandoned using their direct-heat resistant glass outside of laboratory applications. I experienced this when a measuring cup I put on the stove exploded.

And I just happen to have about $30 of credit from a book I sold on Amazon, which is just enough to purchase this French press/coffee mug. It's pretty expensive for a mug, yes, but I haven't read a bad review for it yet.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    And I just happen to have about $30 of credit from a book I sold on Amazon, which is just enough to purchase this French press/coffee mug. It's pretty expensive for a mug, yes, but I haven't read a bad review for it yet.
    I wouldn't go with that. Once it's done brewing you want the grounds out. It'll get bitter if they are sitting in the bottom of your cup the whole time. Take a look at that Aerobie thing I linked or just get a regular french press.

So, I ended up getting this French Press (the one I bought was $25). I got it over an equivalent sized Bodum because it is better insulated, and it isn't made out of stuff that will easily break. It also supposedly had a better screen for the grounds.

Anyway, I just made my first cup, and the flavor is by and large better than out of a drip maker. Quite simply, it tastes richer without extra bitterness. And the smell is amazing. I didn't get a mouthful of grounds, either, despite using medium-sized grind.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pictures 00125p.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	39991  

6. November Juliet sucks balls.

7. How long do you let it steep for Tones? Most directions say to use something between 2-4 minutes, but check out Illy's instructions ( http://www.illy.com/wps/wcm/connect/.../french-press/ ). They say press immediately, and they do a lot of research on coffee. Other European places list 30 seconds then plunge. I've been meaning to try it, but I'm still on an espresso kick. Sidenote: I have no idea how or when I'll be able to go back to regular coffee.

coffee geek instructions http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot
    Last edited by stormy; 05 Sep 2008 at 06:19 PM.

The press said to push down about 1/2 inch below the surface, steep 3-5 minutes, and then press fully.

9. I just picked this up. I also bought some Moxie Java coffee, it's a chain that is only in Idaho.

10. Awesome! I've wanted to try one of those. They're supposed to be really good.