Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4555575859606163 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

1. I really should start doing that at work, we have the same grinder on the floor.

Now that I have a decent grinder, an espresso machine is the next step. What's the minimum that I need to set aside for a decent machine? Should I contact a used commercial supplier, or will they laugh at my paltry consumer budget?

Hey. Recommend me a burr grinder under $200 that's worth a shit.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Hey. Recommend me a burr grinder under $200 that's worth a shit.
    For coffee or espresso?
    How about this one? http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-LID...er_p_4682.html
    Last edited by stormy; 20 Nov 2012 at 02:21 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    Now that I have a decent grinder, an espresso machine is the next step. What's the minimum that I need to set aside for a decent machine? Should I contact a used commercial supplier, or will they laugh at my paltry consumer budget?
    Not sure how well your grinder will work for espresso. It's the ultimate drip grinder, not really suitable for espresso. This will work better if you give me your budget for a machine first, then I can tell you the best way to spend it. Do you want to make milk drinks? How many espressos do you think you'll make in a day? How about at a time? (serving a dinner party is actually very hard)
    Last edited by stormy; 20 Nov 2012 at 02:12 AM.

Why do you say that it is not suitable for espresso? Is it the orientation of the burrs, or some other matter? It churns out quite a fine powder. I do not foresee any dinner parties in my future, so I don't need a multi-head unit. Is it because the portioning is not very precise?

Is something like This any good, or do I need to expand my budget?

Out of curiosity I contacted a used restaurant supply company to get a ballpark of a restaurant-grade product. The vendor kindly replied that they have a Grindmaster Espressimo 2-group available for $2499.99. It's a bit out of my price range!

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Noted, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    For coffee or espresso?
    How about this one? http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-LID...er_p_4682.html
    For French press coffee. I have a manual Hario grinder that I really dig, but I'd like something powered for when I'm brewing a larger amount of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    Out of curiosity I contacted a used restaurant supply company to get a ballpark of a restaurant-grade product. The vendor kindly replied that they have a Grindmaster Espressimo 2-group available for $2499.99. It's a bit out of my price range!
    I ran into a $2000 drip coffee machine when looking around last night. Rich people sure are different.

9. Josh, go to the Baratza website and see what refurbs they're selling in their store. Whichever one fits your budget is good. I use a refurb maestro for drip. Their refurbs are the best deals in burr grinders. That Gaggia that was linked is for espresso, and is not considered very good anymore. (baratza preciso is the one if you want to use it for espresso eventually)