Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4959616263646567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

1. "Sleep, or don't, but you can't *catch up*. You have a finite supply of time."
    Boo, Hiss.

2. I get about 6 hours a night. I tried sleeping in more but I don't feel right—like my mind is slower and not as detail-oriented or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6 Hours and an brief afternoon nap (allegedly between 2 and 4 if you're on the same schedule as the sun) is god-tier.

4. 4-6 hours on wee knights, 8-10 hours on weekends.

As for coffee, I've been using a Keurig machine for a good while now. I know we're supposed to hate them because reasons, but it's quite good. Better than dicking with my French press.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Trying some stuff from intelligentsia and Cafe Grumpy and I have to say it is very expensive. But I love coffee.

My weekdays off now consist of dropping off my kid, getting or making a nice pour over coffee in a v60 (at the cafe) or the Chemex and then taking a four hour nap.

I gotta say, with good technique you can make almost any unflavored bean taste ok.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 23 Mar 2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. Sup, guys.
    I got an aeropress. It makes a great cup of coffee at work. I grind some beans at home, and do the brewing when I start to fiend for a cup. It's really not any more involved than any other method for a single serving. Cleanup is also simple, I plunge the dregs out into the trash bin and give everything a quick rinse to remove any debris before it goes back to my desk.

I've also been using a programmable drip coffee maker at the house. I like the ritual, but it's super convenient to have the coffee start on it's own and dart out the house when I need to get out early.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. Unrelated but because of the heart disease talk earlier. Ol' Kev Smith about died from a heart blockage and he's proudly declared that he basically has had insomnia forever and only sleeps a couple hours a night. Anecdotes!
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. I’ve never been much of a coffee drinker. If you have to dump a pint of cream and a pound of sweetener into your drink, then what’s the point of the drink?

But I decided to give it another shot a few weeks ago. Every morning I got a coffee from a place, and always had it black. The first few mornings it was hard to swallow. Over time I started to develop a liking ofr the after taste, kinda nutty/kinda woody. But I never got to the point where I’d think, mmmm this is some good stuff right here.
    I should mention I’d also try to stick to decaffinated.
    So I have to wonder, if everyone’s coffee was secretly switched to decaf would people continue to drink this nasty stuff?

9. I gave up coffee for years there and only drank the diet energy drinks. Now I'm trying to give those up and picking coffee back up again. Working at a place with a Starbucks makes it convenient. Dark roast with 2-3 shots of espresso or just a large Americano. All that sugar & cream ruin it for me now. Although that's how I started with coffee back at like 15.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I’ve never been much of a coffee drinker. If you have to dump a pint of cream and a pound of sweetener into your drink, then what’s the point of the drink?

But I decided to give it another shot a few weeks ago. Every morning I got a coffee from a place, and always had it black. The first few mornings it was hard to swallow. Over time I started to develop a liking ofr the after taste, kinda nutty/kinda woody. But I never got to the point where I’d think, mmmm this is some good stuff right here.
    I should mention I’d also try to stick to decaffinated.
    So I have to wonder, if everyone’s coffee was secretly switched to decaf would people continue to drink this nasty stuff?
    I'd drink more! I like it strong, and I'll start feeling jittery if I have too much.

It's an acquired taste, for sure. But a lot of other great things are. I love hoppy beers and woody whisky, too. I very rarely want anything so sweet like a soda. I'd much rather drink tonic water with some bitterness to offset that sweetness. Coffee works with sugar very well, though, similarly to chocolate. I love bitter chocolate, but make it sweet and it's a nice treat. I don't see a problem with adding sweetner and cream to your coffee if that's how you like it, but I wouldn't recommend you make that your daily habit, either.