Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ralph McQuarrie Signature Series" Star Wars Figures

1. "Ralph McQuarrie Signature Series" Star Wars Figures

For those who don't know, Ralph McQuarrie was the main concept artist for the original trilogy; he created many gorgeous paintings that guided the visual development of the films. You can view many examples here. Hasbro is now bringing his work into the third dimension with a sub-line if you will of figures, the articulation and detailing of which they are pouring extra effort into. Each wave of this year's 30th Anniversary Collection line will include one RMQSS figure; the first, the McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper, has already shipped. I picked this thing up at Walmart tonight, previously unaware of its existence, and then looked up further information.

RMQ Stormtrooper

As you can see, when the piece this figure is based on was drawn, Lucas had already thought up lightsabers, but had yet to tie them specifically to the Jedi. RMQ also drew a few pieces depicting Han wielding one.

Coming in wave two: RMQ Boba Fett

This figure will include two interchangeable helmets - one based on RMQ's earliest look for the character, and a more refined rendition closer to that which appeared on film.

Coming in wave three: RMQ Chewbacca (prototype from the New York International Toy Fair)

In the early pre-production stages, lovable old Chewie was being envisioned more as a menacing, truly alien creature, rather than the kid-friendly 'dog that walks upright' of the films.

Coming in wave four: RMQ Vader (prototype again)

Like Fett, this figure includes two interchangeable helmets - one based on the earliest art, one closer to the film. Also of note, this Vader wields a blue lightsaber rather than the now-iconic Sith red, as seen in what is quite possibly RMQ's most famous piece:

Naturally, RMQ Vader will eventually be able to duel with a matching RMQ Luke, complete with oxygen mask; figures planned for further down the line include RMQ Han, Snow Trooper, Rebel Soldier, and C-3PO/R2-D2 two-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

Those kick ass. It's been a while since I have cracked for SW figures, but these will tough to pass up.

3. Yeah, until tonight I hadn't bought one in probably four years. It took me a long-ass time, but I grew out of the idiot 'buy everthing to have the whole set and then look at it' phase, and since then I only buy individual figures that appeal to me... and it's been forever since Star Wars has been able to do so. These did the trick and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

4. I had no idea these existed. Not sure if I'd ever pick them up, but the fact that these are getting made? Absolutely awesome. I remember being amazed when I saw some of his concepts as a kid, Chewbacca in particular.

5. I have an old Star Wars paperback I got from Salv Army for a quarter with the same Vader design. That's pretty awesome that it just wasn't some cheap artist rendering but the real basis for how Vader eventually looked.

I may just have to get these, and I hate buying Star Wars figures.

6. Keep this faggotry in Cinemania where people still give half a shit about Star Wars...
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Uh, first of all that why would you used a shield and sword when you could use a laser blaster?

2: I agree with Icarusfall, please move this anywhere but here.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Those kick ass. It's been a while since I have cracked for SW figures, but these will tough to pass up.
    Fag.

9. That Fett kicks ass.

10. They should've used these designs for the prequel movies.

I always envisioned the Clone Wars as being those Troopers with the light sabers vs. an army of Obi-Wan looking Jedi's based on those old drawings.