Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting ps1 games to play on my HDTV

1. I really wouldn't put the blame on Sony, unless there is a problem with your PS2, but this problem looks more like it's because of your television.

I play PSone games on PS2, using component cables, without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Daitokuji View Post
    If you have a Vizio and a ps2 could you try with the component hook up and tell me what happened? I'd appreciate it if you could tell me your model number for the tv so when I call Vizio i'd have something to tell them to compare to.
    I did not have a problem with PS2 games. I never tried PS1. I'll hook it up again tonight.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I really wouldn't put the blame on Sony, unless there is a problem with your PS2, but this problem looks more like it's because of your television.

I play PSone games on PS2, using component cables, without any problems.
    Yeah you'd think that would be the problem that the tv isn't reading the signals giving from the ps2, but then why could it read the signals from the ps3? Why can it read the signals giving from all my other component hookups? 360, Wii, and the DVD player? I think that the ps2 doesn't have an upscaler like the ps3 and the games in mention are too low in resolution... Sony should know something about this and so should Vizio.

Have you tried hooking it up through S-Video cables? I have an idea...

If PS1 games work in S-video, Sony used to sell an AV pack that had RCA and S-Video outs on it that has a passthrough for other av cables. So you could have both the S-video connection hooked up and the component cables at the same time and you could just switch the input. I have mine set up this way for a different reason, I plug the Guncon plug into the AV pack's RCA video out.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

5. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Have you tried hooking it up through S-Video cables? I have an idea...

If PS1 games work in S-video, Sony used to sell an AV pack that had RCA and S-Video outs on it that has a passthrough for other av cables. So you could have both the S-video connection hooked up and the component cables at the same time and you could just switch the input. I have mine set up this way for a different reason, I plug the Guncon plug into the AV pack's RCA video out.
    all that work for ps1 games?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Daitokuji View Post
    Yeah you'd think that would be the problem that the tv isn't reading the signals giving from the ps2, but then why could it read the signals from the ps3? Why can it read the signals giving from all my other component hookups? 360, Wii, and the DVD player? I think that the ps2 doesn't have an upscaler like the ps3 and the games in mention are too low in resolution... Sony should know something about this and so should Vizio.
    Your Vizio should support 480i resolutions though, even if they are coming through component. My Sony KV-HS420 has no problems running PSone games through component. This television supports 480i/480p/1080i/720p.

7. Update: I decided to try different games to see what happens, so I tried Tekken 3 that game works perfectly fine and so does Ridge Racer 60 fps edition. Castlevania SoTN does not work and neither does ICO for ps2. I wonder if it has to do with resolution and or frame rate...

8. Quote Originally Posted by Daitokuji View Post
    Update: I decided to try different games to see what happens, so I tried Tekken 3 that game works perfectly fine and so does Ridge Racer 60 fps edition. Castlevania SoTN does not work and neither does ICO for ps2. I wonder if it has to do with resolution and or frame rate...
    Do you know anyone else that has an HDTV? I'd try your console on another HD set and see what happens. If the console fails on a different brand television, then your PS2 might be the problem.

ICO and SOTN work fine on my set.

I have played Ico on three different HDTVs.

Just saying...

10. Well Yoshi said he had a Vizio HDTV and was going to try and see if he has the same problem hooked up the same way. Cuz like I said I've tried more than one ps2 and got the same problem, but now with not all games behaving the same means there has to be a problem with certain games displaying and the tv doesn't understand.