Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting ps1 games to play on my HDTV

1. Getting ps1 games to play on my HDTV

March 17 2007 I purchased a Vizio 37" HDTV. I does everything I could ask for wonderfully except I can't play my ps1 games on my ps2 at all. When I first tried only half of the screen(the top half) would display the game while the bottom half would either be black, static showing, or whatever was last shown on the screen. So I decided to turn off the 16:9 viewing mode and see what would happen. The entire screen is black now, nothing but sound comes through. Has anyone else experianced this problem and has anyone been able to get it to work? I hope I don't have to buy a ps3 to play my ps1 games on my HD. I don't care if they look ugly because they are ugly, I just want to display them on my new television.

2. I have a similar problem. When I got my cheap Olevia hdtv I couldn't play PS1 games at all. Basically the games show up on the upper right corner of the screen and it looks screwed up while the PS1 logo stays in the background (and I get sound). I was told that this happens because my tv cannot display the PS1's resolution properly over component.

Can you try out the PS2 with Svideo/composite to see if it works that way? I don't have those cables so I can't try that. If you have them you can give it a go and see if you get the games looking good with S-video or composite.

3. What sort of cables are you running from PS2 to tv?

There should be no difference in how the PS2 outputs PS1 or PS2 games if both are in 480i. Can you find out what resolution is getting sent to the tv? It should be 480i unless some PS1 games actually run lower than that (anyone?). Once you know the resolution, try another source that outputs the same thing with the same type of connection your PS2 is using. IE an old VCR with composite cables if if your PS2 is on composit.

4. I'm using sony's brand component cables for my ps2... ps2 run like they should, tho I should say that God Hand looks super pixelly. The resolution get set by the tv which is depending on what is being output. Currently it's 480i, I've not tried any progressive games yet.
    Last edited by Daitokuji; 27 Mar 2007 at 05:39 PM.

5. Never heard of this problem on my own Olevia. Try switching out some cables or hooking it up to other inputs. Could just be a model of PS2.

6. i'm gonna try my roomates slim ps2 and see what happens. I did find a website were this guy sounds like he has the same problem as me.

http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives...equals_doa.php

7. Nope the same result on a slim ps2 as well...

8. i realized i never tried my own psone games over component on ps2, and wow do they look pixelated.

I also heard really odd sounds coming out of its drive, ive been in fear of my ps2 pooping out on me for over a year now, and it just might soon enough.

9. I guess I'm just not going to play ps1 games on my hdtv

10. In your PS2's options menu, do you have the video set to 16:9?

Perhaps it needs to be set to 4:3, when playing PSone games?