Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interplay in Deep Doodoo / Fallout MMORPG

Interplay in Deep Doodoo / Fallout MMORPG

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040625/def023_1.html

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06...s_6100019.html

Yeah, sounds like they're in a whole mess of trouble. The state shut them down for not being able to cover their employees' insurance or, uh, even paying them at all. So, of course, the best solution is to fine them for even more money that they so obviously don't have.

Still, though, the very thought of a Fallout MMORPG makes me excited (physically). It's so easy to see how it would be executed... I think the franchise is an almost natural fit here. I'd quit Galaxies for this. Hell, I'd quit World of Warcraft for this, and I have never even played that game. That's how good I think this idea is. Only problem, I have no faith in Interplay's (in their current incarnation) ability to get this game out, well, ever
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. I'm not sure the Fallout name means what it once did. Brotherhood of Steel just felt like a desperate play for sales by using the S-word in every single sentence.
    -Kyo

Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    I'm not sure the Fallout name means what it once did. Brotherhood of Steel just felt like a desperate play for sales by using the S-word in every single sentence.
    It's pretty obvious that the original writers have moved on to bigger and better things, but an MMORPG isn't exactly heavily story-driven... just give me the freedom to roam Fallout's post-apocalyptic world in Mad Max-style dune buggies hunting giant scorpions and mutants. With guns, of course. Big, shiny guns. And power fists to the eye.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. Assuming, of course, said MMORPG really exists.

-Kyo

5. Fallout anything that isn't made by Black Isle is not really Fallout if you ask me.

Screw Interplay... first they shut down Black Isle completely, killing work on the real Fallout 3, and now after seeing how angry they made Fallout fans, they decide an MMORPG using the Fallout name might be the way to suck more money out of their fans. With Black Isle doing it, I would have been excited (Fallout would make an awesome MMORPG), but at this point? Interplay just being desperate to make dough.

(Oh and that's a good PA strip, I approve heh. That'll be Interplay in a few years certainly)

6. Umm NoFace they announced a while back they are working on Fallout 3 for reals. Shortly after Brotherhood of Steel came out.

Maybe this MMORPG is Fallout 3.

In any case, like I said before... good MMORPGs are a guaranteed moneymaker. Square used FF11 as a way to save the company after the disaster that was FF: The Movie nearly bankrupted them. Sony gets maybe $5 or $6 million a month from EQ, and another $3-4 million from SWG.

No matter what Miyamato says, you can make a ton of cash in online gaming. If Fallout 3 is an MMORPG, and a good one, it will save Interplay.

7. Black Isle, the people who made Fallout and Fallout 2, are most definitely not making Fallout 3 anymore. Interplay might be making it, but it's original creators certainly are not the one's doing it for Interplay.

And Fallout without Black Isle is not really Fallout.

8. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    In any case, like I said before... good MMORPGs are a guaranteed moneymaker. Square used FF11 as a way to save the company after the disaster that was FF: The Movie nearly bankrupted them.
    Square got saved because Enix merged with them and took the majority of the company over.

Quote Originally Posted by NoFace
    And Fallout without Black Isle is not really Fallout.
    This type of bias is what will kill Interplay for real.

The game isn't even out yet, or nothing's been released, at least wait until there's SOMETHING to make a judgement call on.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    This type of bias is what will kill Interplay for real.

The game isn't even out yet, or nothing's been released, at least wait until there's SOMETHING to make a judgement call on.
    Oh gee, sorry for wanting the people responsible for creating the franchise, and making it awesome, to make any future games in the series. If Interplay really cared about Fallout or it's fans, they wouldn't have disbanded Black Isle.

Interplay proved how commited it was to Fallout when they got rid of Black Isle. There's your "SOMETHING" that I'm making the judgement call off of. If Interplay was doing this for any reason other than the money, Black Isle would still be around, finishing up work on Fallout 3 or perhaps making the MMORPG. Again, sorry for not supporting a publisher that screwed over the original creators and basically, every Fallout fan they had.

10. NoFace: Why would they do ANYTHING for any reason other than money? It's BUSINESS.

It still doesn't mean the game will be bad. It means it won't be made under the official Black Isle name. Wait to see something to judge. You're jumping the gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."