Thread: Xbox 1 on HDTV display question

1. Xbox 1 on HDTV display question

When I hook my Xbox up to my HDTV, I can't get it to display in widescreen mode without stretching the image through the TV settings. Even with the wide screen mode enabled on the Xbox dashboard, it only displays in 4:3.

HDTV: Toshiba 42HL196
    Xbox settings:
    Wide screen
    All resolutions enabled
    Using component cables

2. Stupid question, but did you play a widescreen enabled game (like Halo 2)? I have the same setup (but a JVC HDTV) and it works perfectly. It could be your TV's setting.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Stupid question, but did you play a widescreen enabled game (like Halo 2)? I have the same setup (but a JVC HDTV) and it works perfectly. It could be your TV's setting.
    LOL, good question.

Shouldn't the dashboard display in widescreen if I have it enabled?

4. Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC View Post
    LOL, good question.

i there there was a dash update to correctly display the dash in non-standard def.

5. Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC View Post
    LOL, good question.

Yes, the dashboard displays in widescreen.

6. Think I found my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by xbox.com
    Auto-Selection of widescreen
    When you use the HD AV pack in widescreen (16:9) ratio while displaying in 480p, 720p, or 1080i mode, note that you may have to manually adjust your television to fit the Xbox display to the shape of the screen.

At the time the Xbox video game system was developed, there was not an established standard for alerting a monitor to a 480p wide-screen mode switch. Therefore, the console does not send a mode-switch signal while outputting in 480p, 720p, or 1080i mode. The console does send such a mode-switch signal while in 480i mode, as an established signal standard did exist for this mode when the Xbox video game system was developed.